Ideas For Layout On Remodel Of Kitchen - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 238
Question

Ideas for layout on remodel of kitchen

Evening folks, pretty broad post, but looking for any suggestions as far as a layout for my kitchen. I've attached the dimensions, and also two very draft layouts (one is incomplete with upper cabinets, but just look at layout). The 19' wall is an exterior wall and we have the ability (within moderate budget) to add a window to that wall ideally above sink (Size and location TBD). Our current configuration puts our range on the 7' wall on the left. We definitely need at a minimum 24" but preferably a 36" pantry (if we don't build out one near the top right corner). We are going to have a 36" range/oven, counter-depth refrigerator 36" width, standard dishwasher, and 30-33" sink, hoping for a 40-48" window, and we are also going to do a large island, minimum 8' x 4'. We don't want the sink or range in the island.

**CORRECTION TO PLAN, the left wall is 7'10"

Our concerns:
1) 36" range on the 7' wall will be tight
2) Range and Sink on same run, will look odd w/ offset window and possibly too small?
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for layout on remodel of kitchen-kitchen.jpg   Ideas for layout on remodel of kitchen-kitchen_design1a.jpg   Ideas for layout on remodel of kitchen-kitchen_design1b.jpg  

Last edited by nutshellml; 03-13-2016 at 08:03 PM.
nutshellml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Re: Ideas for layout on remodel of kitchen

I have a 7.67' wall in mine, that has plans for two 36" base cabinets and a 30" stove. You plan according. If you cannot remove the wall, adjust for maybe two 30" base and a 30" stove. It is what works best for you, since all of us have different ideas and different uses for our Kitchens. A 36" stove is going to be overkill for that Kitchen, unless you steal space from another room to expand the Kitchen into.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
nutshellml (03-14-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 09:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 388

I know you don't want THE sink in the island, but one thing I miss from our old house is the 2nd sink in the island. something to consider

I like the 1st plan, and if you desire a 36", it will be tight, but doable. I wouldn't expect run of the mill cabinets though...94", 24" for adjoining cabinets = 70" -36" for range =34". You'll want something, even a decorative piece, on the right side of the range, so there is some space there. And you'll want to think about drawers and cabinets in the corner so something isn't open and then the oven door takes it off. Probably best to run your corner and put a 30" then the big range, getting further from sink and fridge though...remaining 4" is decorative piece, trimmed to size on location.

my opinion, worth what you paid for it....
1acre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1acre For This Useful Post:
nutshellml (03-14-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1acre View Post
I know you don't want THE sink in the island, but one thing I miss from our old house is the 2nd sink in the island. something to consider

I like the 1st plan, and if you desire a 36", it will be tight, but doable. I wouldn't expect run of the mill cabinets though...94", 24" for adjoining cabinets = 70" -36" for range =34". You'll want something, even a decorative piece, on the right side of the range, so there is some space there. And you'll want to think about drawers and cabinets in the corner so something isn't open and then the oven door takes it off. Probably best to run your corner and put a 30" then the big range, getting further from sink and fridge though...remaining 4" is decorative piece, trimmed to size on location.

my opinion, worth what you paid for it....
Can I ask why you specifically miss the 2nd sink, I could understand that more than the primary sink.

For the corner, they were putting in a small lazy susan vs. a corner pull out drawer/cabinet.

As for your last comment "Probably best to run your corner and put a 30" then the big range". What do you mean by that?

And I don't want the 36" range just for aesthetics, we are avid cookers and really want the larger range for that purpose.

Thanks!

Last edited by nutshellml; 03-14-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
A 36" stove is going to be overkill for that Kitchen, unless you steal space from another room to expand the Kitchen into.
You really think so? We are wanting a 36" not for just the looks, but we cook a lot and are always at the range/oven. We currently have a 30" and it's tight for our needs, which is why we are wanting a 36" range. That in our opinion trumps the built in fridge, since we have a 2nd fridge downstairs.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #6

2nd sink: 1st sink gets clogged with dishes, other things - second sink, usually by the fridge, stack veggies/other things, another place to do prep while someone else is at the main sink. Garbage disposal is highly recommended.

re: runs for oddball sizes. Standard cabinets are only made in certain sizes. As far as I remember, 34", split somehow (since you don't want your range up against the wall) will be hard pressed for standard cabinets. A common trick is to put a longer face frame "skirt" on a cabinet or 2, then it can be trimmed on site to whatever is needed. But, that is then wasted space you can't store anything. Any cabinet company can make you a few custom pieces, easy peasy. Corners are always tricky, open 2 things and you get jammed up. You'll want the range a safe distance from the corner. 30" is one suggestion with standard boxes. A designer, who will come at a couple extra hundred bucks from the cabinet company, should be able to help you.

Who/where are you looking to buy cabinets from?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1acre View Post

Who/where are you looking to buy cabinets from?
Thanks! Still up in air as to where / what cabinets I'm going for. MDF or Ply, I've read many posts here and everywhere. Went to a few local cabinet stores to discuss/look at options and they came up with the drawings I attached. Not looking for FULL custom, but not stock either. I have looked at Frameless (Ultracraft), framed (Starmark, Diamond, Decora). Decisions Decisions....
Old 03-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 606

Look at Cliqstudios.com.

Plywood boxes. Hardwood face frames. I used the in my kitchen a year ago and the quality is great.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,652

I cook a lot also and a 30" stove works just fine for me. Some stuff gets put in either the Crockpot or Steam cooker and also gets done with my setup.

Like I stated before, you will most likely have to steal space from another room, like I did with my Kitchen.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #10

My opinion, go with melamine carcasses. Easy to clean, nice looking, low maintenance.

There are really only 2 major cabinet companies out there - Master Brand and I don't remember who the other is. It is an option to work directly with the designers at the cabinet companies, but you'll have problems finding an installer ("where did you get your cabinets?"). Another option, and if I had cabinets built what I would most likely do, is to go with a "bubba shop," or a mom & pop. If you live in a decent sized city, they can be a bit less than any deal you get from a cabinet company/designer. My father, who worked for Omega & Master Brand, always used to tell me a bubba shop offers prices similar to what his "family & Friends" discount was, which was about 70-80% off list (depending if you got Omega/Decora/Diamond etc). Of course, it is like buying a car, no one ever pays list, so it sounds like a lot, but you won't save 70-80% off Home Depot's price. But, you can still save some money with a bubba shop, and especially when it comes to getting custom pieces. Downside to the bubba shop is you need to vet them out to make sure you are getting similar quality to what gets pumped out of the cabinet factories. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #11

Question

So we narrowed it down to the two attached layouts (one previously posted one new from today) based on your all help and thoughts regarding the tightness of the range in the corner. We are leaning to the one with the Sink and 36" Stove on the same run. The window from trim to trim is 54" vs. 39" on the one w/ the Sink and Refrigerator on same run. It seems to be very functional when we actually laid it out in our current kitchen.

Any thoughts from everyone???? Decisions Decisions...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for layout on remodel of kitchen-kitchen2.jpg   Ideas for layout on remodel of kitchen-kitchen_design1a.jpg  

Last edited by nutshellml; 03-15-2016 at 07:23 PM. Reason: modify with new thoughts
Old 03-16-2016, 12:53 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 30

Ideas for layout on remodel of kitchen

#1 all the way. And don't let people tell you a 36" range is too big. I put in a 48" range and have used all 6 burners before.

I also support the island sink. We added a small one to our island and it's used exclusively for prep and is amazing. I couldn't imagine not having it.

Here is a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by bmathews; 03-16-2016 at 12:55 AM.
bmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bmathews For This Useful Post:
nutshellml (03-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement