I Was Mediocre In Wood-shop. Premade Kitchens? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 402

I was mediocre in wood-shop. Premade kitchens?

Do they make complete "premade kitchens", where you just measure the length of the cabinet runs, choose the style you want, and a truck delivers the kitchen in pre-assembled sections? Googling for the term showed a British company that does it - does anything like this exist in the USA?

If this doesn't exist, what is the absolute easiest way to rebuild a kitchen that will still look good? I've got a kitchen that was gutted following replacement of the outer wall. Most of the cabinetry was removed, and at the moment, there's just a sink mounted in a cheap looking temporary cabinet, a freestanding range/oven, and an exposed dishwasher. It "works" but it looks terrible. I figure I'd have to pay a professional to replace the floor, but I was idly thinking it sure would be nice if I could just buy a new kitchen premade and install it myself.

As the thread title indicates, doing custom woodwork isn't practical. I just barely know how to use a miter saw, and at my skill level, I'm going to make visible errors in the seams and joins. Maybe I'd get it right by the second kitchen remodel, but...
Habeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 696

It's hard for me to type, but IKEA?
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,172

There are lots of companies online that sell "pre-made" kitchen cabinets.

I'm not recommending them per se, but an example of one such company is Cabinets to Go. http://cabinetstogo.com/

Of course you will still need to get a local plumber, electrician, etc to make all the modifications and connections.

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 10-10-2015 at 08:30 AM.
ZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (10-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Few people build their own cabinets----most are made in a factory--go to a local kitchen dealer --even one of the big discounters--with a drawing of your kitchen-

Have exact measurements of the wall,doors and windows---they will do a layout --
and give you pictures and prices.

At that point, you need to decide if you will attemt to install the 'boxes' or hire an installer.

I am a regular user of Haas cabinets--nice finishes at a fair price--and custom sizes can be made----
Old 10-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,890

Are you in the US? Hard to suggest company's to deal with without at least some basic info.
Ikea does have a 3D design center you can down load.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 254

Most manufactured cabinets come in standard sizes such as 16, 18, 24 inch widths, etc.

Your kitchen might not conform to the mix and match cabinets without having to use filler strips here or there to make the cabinets fill out the width.

Should be easy. The big box stores have designers that do that stuff all the time.

Last edited by MT Stringer; 10-10-2015 at 05:13 PM.
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-10-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,410

If you are lucky enough to have a restore nearby, they are also worth checking out after you've measured your kitchen. Occasionally you find something amazing there. A relative once found probably fifteen grand worth of Rutt cabinets for about $250.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,746

It's odd that you are assuming you need a professional to replace the floor, but you can do the cabinets yourself. With the help of the pros here, the floor should be the easy part.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckF. For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 17,890

It would be interesting how you would even get already assembled cabinets inside the house to install them without damage.
So much easier work with boxes.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:04 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
It's hard for me to type, but IKEA?
Why do you say that? I'm French, and IKEA has a solid reputation in Europe. I know people who build their own IKEA kitchen, and it looks as good as new after 15 years....
french_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy View Post
Why do you say that? I'm French, and IKEA has a solid reputation in Europe. I know people who build their own IKEA kitchen, and it looks as good as new after 15 years....
That makes me think of a mack truck pulling up to my house and unloading a car sized pallet of boxes, a whole kitchen in one stack.

The driver is like "looks like you're all set, you'll have the new kitchen up in no time. Oh, you're gonna need this." He hands me a single hex key and drives off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Habeed For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (10-16-2015), Tom738 (10-17-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 08:13 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habeed View Post
That makes me think of a mack truck pulling up to my house and unloading a car sized pallet of boxes, a whole kitchen in one stack.

The driver is like "looks like you're all set, you'll have the new kitchen up in no time. Oh, you're gonna need this." He hands me a single hex key and drives off.
So????
french_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy View Post
So????
It was just a funny thought. From what I have read, it's a lot more involved, of course. Apparently, it's inexpensive - around 5 grand if I'm ok with the Ikea styles and it's a small, simple kitchen.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #14
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy
Well, since you asked, for one I don't like IKEA's style. Personal preference. Second, they're cheaply made particle board crap that seems like they were designed more to fit in a flat box than be a decent piece of furniture. By the way, I can only speak to their furniture as I don't have any experience with their kitchens.

And their confusing maze-like stores make me borderline homicidal.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #15

They do have this ultra-modern, minimalist style though. To my sensibilities, it looks really cool. Some of the other sites linked are the boring wood veneer style of cabinetry. Particle board does sound like a problem if it fails, however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement