How To Tile Around A Flush Shower Window - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

How to tile around a flush shower window

Hello, I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel with tiling around the shower which has a flush window on the outside wall. The bathroom is still gutted and the person I hired is now putting up the joists he needs, the electrical, etc. He was going to prepare the board for my partner (who is a brick/stone mason so has skills) to do the tiling. A friend who does tiling came down to talk to us about how to do it properly. We got in a conversation about the tiling around the window and the person I hired told us he has no idea how he was going to prep the area around the window. He was planning on the tiles around the window to go right on the wood! My friend said no, that won't work which makes sense to me! So we all started brainstorming what to do with the window tiling. My friend said to get a new window that's waterproof (right now I put a plastic shower curtain over it) but we still aren't sure how to tile around that. So she called her husband who does remodeling.

Two people wanted to get one of the accordion windows (?) but two of us don't like that b/c of the space it will leave on the outside of the house. It's just a no.

So the consensus seemed to do all block windows or half block windows on the bottom and an accordion window on the top (for ventilation) like this.

I really want to be sure to do this right. I'm not sure the accordion window solves the problem for the tiling.

What are your suggestions and do you agree with the above? Thanks in advance!

I've attached some pictures of the window in question.

Thank you soooo much in advance!!!
Attached Thumbnails
How to tile around a flush shower window-img_0847.jpg   How to tile around a flush shower window-img_0846.jpg   How to tile around a flush shower window-img_0848.jpg  
Sculley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

Re: How to tile around a flush shower window

#1, A window in a shower is never a good idea.
#2, Venting should be done by a real ceiling exhaust fan, not a window.
#3, That's a hopper style window you posted, is someone going to open that in the winter while taking a shower?
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply, Joe.

I did have a fan in there and we just replaced it with an even more heavy duty one.

The window was already there. What do you propose? Remove it and then what to replace it with? It looks funny from the outside. Do you think window block could do the trick? Just do window block for the whole thing?

Woops, you're right. Isn't the window on the link I posted an "awning" window. That's what the guy said it was called but could have been his own word.

Last edited by Sculley; 05-06-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,890

What type siding is on the outside?
If you have a fan there is no need for an opening window.
They sell acrylic block new constrution and replacement windows if for some reason you feel you need that window.
Then use all PVC lumber to trim it out.
People think they want "natural" light in the bathroom, what's the first thing they do when walking into the room, turn the light on.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #5

What type siding is on the outside?
Cedar shakes

If you have a fan there is no need for an opening window.
Okay, seems to be so many opinions about this!

They sell acrylic block new constrution and replacement windows if for some reason you feel you need that window.
We were looking at glass block to do the whole window so no opening. But you are saying if we do get a new window, to use all PVC lumber to trim it out. Meaning it's PVC instead of wood? And still, do we put the Go Board right up over it if possible or how do we deal with the tile and window seam? Right now, it doesn't work - with the old window.

Thank you again!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement