How To Remove A Concrete Shower Pan - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

How to remove a concrete shower pan

I am in the planning phase of basement bathroom remodel. My house was built in 2006, and the previous owner completed the basement himself. His work was subpar, particularly in the basement bathroom (ugly tastes, and shoddy craftsmanship). Anyway, the shower pan appears to be poured concrete. I have not yet begun demo, so I am not sure if he used a form, or how he managed to achieve the proper slope.

I plan to completely demo the current shower and replace with a 60" tub/shower unit in its place to convert from a 3/4 bath to a full bath. Fortunately, the room is sized appropriately to accommodate this renovation. I know I will need to reroute the plumbing after breaking away the concrete floor, but first I need to know the best way to get that shower pan out.

My initial thoughts were to rent a jackhammer to bust through the shower pan, then I would proceed cut through the cement slab to access the plumbing.

My question is, is this the easiest way to complete the demo of the shower pan on this job? After searching online, I've noticed some people used a masonry saw and a sledge hammer on the slab for a more accurate and clean cut to access the plumbing, but nobody seems to have the issue of dealing with a concrete shower pan on a concrete slab. I've also noticed that some people use a hammer drill, but it just seems like a jackhammer would plow right through the tough material the quickest, but I also need to remove tile from the rest of the bathroom and figure a hammer drill would work well for that purpose.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am successful DIYer (windows, some flooring, siding, cabinets, sheetrock, paint, woodworking, framing), but this is my very first attempt at plumbing, and I need information in simpleton terms.
g rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,474

If you are intending to bust the floor anyway then the jack hammer is a good idea. If you just want the shower pan out then you might be lucky and it was poured on top of the floor. It might not be bonded to the floor and come up on its own with a little persuasion.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
g rag (11-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 30

I just used a sledge hammer on mine. It wasn't that difficult. Funny thing was I never found a shower pan. I just went straight through to the dirt. If you are moving a lot of plumbing around, I would use a jackhammer.
CabinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CabinCrisis For This Useful Post:
g rag (11-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks for the feedback! I will go ahead and rent the jackhammer. I've never used one before, so I think I'm going to have a little fun with the demo--everything's gotta go in that room...down to the studs!
g rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
basement bathroom , bath , concrete , demo , shower pan