How To Remove Cabinets - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to remove cabinets

I want to remove our old cabinets. Attached are pictures what is the best way. Also do you feel I should cut the countertops? If so will a circular saw work? What are the steps for the electrical running in a cabinet and stove, and sink. Please advise steps and answers to the above. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
How to remove cabinets-kitchen-dining.jpg   How to remove cabinets-projecting-counter-.jpg  
john22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,884

Remove the sink, the counter top will have screws up from the bottom holding them in place in the corners of the cabinets.
Cut any caulking lines along the back splash or backs of the countertops, you can cut off those penisulas with a ciruler saw to make it easyer to get out of the house.
The cabinets are screwed together near the hindges and to the back wall.

As far as the wiring I feel if you have to ask then it's better to get an electrition to do it. The troubles going to come in trying to do this to code because you missing a place to install outlets along the wall with all those windows. There suppost to be no more then 4' apart
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (04-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,478

Turn your water off, disconnect the plumbing, remove the counter top by either unscrewing from underneath the cabinet or it could be glued down. There is no need to cut the top unless it makes it easier for you to handle.

TV has shown people coming in like a wrecking crew tearing a house down, that is not the way it goes in real life at all, they are acting, and like a bunch of idiots at that. You don't need a sledge hammer, like they show is their favorite tool. If a professional went into someone's home and took a kitchen out like that we would be sued. Sorry for the rant here. Now that I have that off my chest.

Remove the counter top the way that is most comfortable for you. The cabinets are usually screwed together at the front in some fashion, remove the screws holding them together then remove the screws holding the cabinets to the wall. The screws into the wall will be much easier seen once the top is removed.

Once the base cabinets are removed the top cabinets can be removed, or you can remove the upper cabinets first, that is your choice. If you do wish to cut the counter tops to remove I would suggest the saws all, you will not be able to cut all the way to the back with a circular saw. Beware if you do cut the counter top, the edges will sometimes be razor sharp, I would recommend using good leather gloves that have a good grip. Don't walk on the counter top after it is removed as it can be very slick and cause a fall.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #4

Thanks, So A circular saw won't do the job huh? I should get a saw zaw instead? Also, do I need any 2x4s to keep anything up even though there will be 2 of us. Are these countertops usually in pieces when they are put on or one slab, I can not tell and its my moms place and I won't be down there until the day I actually do work lol. Also, how long do you think all this will take wth 2 people?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,360

I'm sure you've thought of it but just in case.
Once you remove the countertop and cabinets you'll have no sink or running water.
Make sure you've alternatives in place if needed.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #6

Thanks, So A circular saw won't do the job huh? I should get a saw zaw instead? Also, do I need any 2x4s to keep anything up even though there will be 2 of us. Are these countertops usually in pieces when they are put on or one slab, I can not tell and its my moms place and I won't be down there until the day I actually do work lol. Also, how long do you think all this will take wth 2 people?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by john22 View Post
You'll need a good cordless drill and most likely a sawzall. As mentioned above first sink, then counter tops, then lower cabinets. Then upper cabinets. There shouldn't be much 'demolition' at all; just a lot of unscrewing. You may need a pry bar to get the counters up if they are glued.

To remove cabinets? 2-4 hours if you are prepared. Look online for some cabinet installation videos; note how they join the cabinets/etc and then just go do that in reverse.

Edit: Electrical. Turn off breakers for kitchen; check by trying to run disposal; and use a tester in all outlets.

Last edited by coderguy; 04-25-2012 at 10:39 AM.
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coderguy For This Useful Post:
BigJim (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,478

The counter tops will have joints where they angle, there will be bolts underneath the top holding the joints together embedded in the underside of the counter top. No the circular saw will not be able to cut all the way to the back of the top, the end of the saw will hit the wall or back splash.

I forgot, open the door of the dishwasher, there should be two screws holding the dishwasher in place screwed into the bottom of the counter top there.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 04-25-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #9

There is no back splash so a ciruler saw will work.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #10

Well there is a backsplash not sure if its apart of the counter though. So Saw Zaw (reciprocating saw)..Or circular saw.. I am going today and can only buy one?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #11

Both will work for this simple job.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #12

But since there is a backsplash, a circular saw will not go all the way to the back right. SO then i would have to get a zzaw saw?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by john22 View Post
But since there is a backsplash, a circular saw will not go all the way to the back right. SO then i would have to get a zzaw saw?

Yes, a saws all.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

Backsplash or not, a circular saw won't get to the back (wall) edge. The platform/base sticks out in front to hold you back. Plus the circular blade can't cut through as the curve is away from the front-most part of the blade.
Sawsall will, but hard to avoid damaging the back wall, etc.
Several companies now sell a "multitool" that can exchange heads, one of which is a square saw blade that can cut real clean up to a wall, or floor/wall joint, etc. Harbor supply has a cheaper single function version with just that last saw type.
bareshiyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There is no back splash so a ciruler saw will work.
Only someone who never used a circular saw would think that is possible
Advertisement