How Much Room For Fridge In Enclosed Area? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 104

How much room for fridge in enclosed area?

For a kitchen remodel project, my plan is to have the side of the fridge sit against one wall while the other side abuts a cabinet with a counter top. I understand the concerns about depth and handles and allowing the door to open and for ventilation, etc. My question is more generic than that and it concerns not the depth, but the width.

How much space should I leave on either side of the fridge such that it will fit neatly into it's cubby without looking like it's too small for the space? Is there a standard for this? 1/8" on both sides of the fridge enough? Is there any reason why the fridge would need more room than this for ventilation?
petermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,873

Re: How much room for fridge in enclosed area?

Probably not for ventilation.

But, the side that sits against the wall is going to need more than that if you want the door on that side to fully open. If it does not then drawers and shelves are not going to slide out properly. The doors need to open more than 90 degrees for proper operation, best WAG is 110-120 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,366

If you are putting a 36" fridge between 2 end panels the cupboard above is 36"
The height is the main question.
You can have a problem if the wall beside the fridge is more than 24" deep.
The cupboard above is still 36" with a scribe filler on the side to allow for out of plumb wall or molding at the floor or what have you.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,004

Best to check what the fridge manufacturer recommends for clearance. Many fridges, but not all, vent at the bottom. Good advice about making sure the door(s) open wide enough for proper access.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Best to check what the fridge manufacturer recommends for clearance. Many fridges, but not all, vent at the bottom. Good advice about making sure the door(s) open wide enough for proper access.

Back clearance recommendation is 1", but I might do a little more to make it easier for waterline and electrical. I understand your point about the doors but I've already accounted for that.

All I'm really asking is if there's a rule of thumb for putting an appliance like this into an enclosed area with regards to the WIDTH. Appliance with PLUS 1/8" on each side seems about right to me, or would this be too snug?
Old 08-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
Probably not for ventilation.

But, the side that sits against the wall is going to need more than that if you want the door on that side to fully open. If it does not then drawers and shelves are not going to slide out properly. The doors need to open more than 90 degrees for proper operation, best WAG is 110-120 degrees.

Well, my plan was to have the fridge stick out from the wall at the point of the door hinge which I think will allow 180 degree swing for each of side by side doors. In this case how much room would I need on either side of the fridge? (I've got the manufacturer specs, but I'm building the space for it to go ahead of time)
Old 08-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,873

Speaking personally, I would allow 1" more than the width of the Fridge. If space is tight or that is going to cause problems, I might cut tit to 1/2" if I had the Fridge on site for measuring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement