How Much Does It Cost To Remodel A Kitchen - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By beenthere
  • 2 Post By ktownskier
  • 2 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By NotYerUncleBob2
  • 2 Post By fireguy
  • 2 Post By ktownskier
  • 1 Post By ktownskier

Old 04-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

How much does it cost to remodel a kitchen

I know it's a pretty tough question to answer but I'm wondering what you guys tell people when they ask "how much does it cost to remodel a kitchen?"
I'm trying to see if my prices are too low.
The kinds of kitchen remodels I do usually involve:
  • New faux wood flooring
  • New kitchen sink
  • redo the cabinets
  • new countertops
new faux wood floors
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by beenthere; 04-30-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: removed link
handystg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,054

Re: How much does it cost to remodel a kitchen

Little too many (like virtually all) variables at play for that question.....

I would hope you are not just going in and stabbing at a quote....??????
de-nagorg and Yodaman like this.
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Little too many (like virtually all) variables at play for that question.....

I would hope you are not just going in and stabbing at a quote....??????
No, I'm wondering if I'm quoting too low. I charged a guy $9,500 for that job. Do people charge more? Less? That's what I'm asking.
handystg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,638

Still depends on many variables, Sq. Ft.

1500 sq. or 15,000 sq.

Type of sink, shall I go on?

You're best chance for your area, is to look it up on Home advisor . com, or maybe Angie's list.

They both advertise that they have estimates for every area.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 7,742

Quote:
Originally Posted by handystg View Post
No, I'm wondering if I'm quoting too low. I charged a guy $9,500 for that job. Do people charge more? Less? That's what I'm asking.

Doesn't matter is someone else here would have charged 12,500.00 or 7,500.00 unless they do work in the same area you are in. And have the same operating cost as you.

Do you know what your operating cost is? If not, now is the time to figure it out.

I would suggest you join our sister site that is for contractors to post their biz questions.

https://www.contractortalk.com/forum.php
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,600

Asking a question like that without giving more information is like asking how high is high.

Even with your 4 basic conditions:

New faux wood flooring
New kitchen sink
redo the cabinets
new countertops
you still need to give more information.

New faux wood flooring Are you talking Laminate, Vinyl, Tile, LVP? Do you remove the old flooring? Any sub-floor repair? What $/sq ft are you quoting? What if the customer wants a more expensive floor?

New kitchen sink: Stainless? 1 bowl or 2? What if the customer wants a specific sink?
Does that include a faucet? Garbage Disposer?

redo the cabinets: Are you refacing them? Repainting them? Putting new drawer door fronts on? New hardware? Do you keep them in the same place or do you rearrange them? What about any repairs/replacements?

new countertops: Laminate, quartz, etc?

What about any electrical work? Plumbing Work?

Are you licensed, insured, bonded?

Do you pull a permit?

Those are all the things you need to figure out what your nut is.

Your nut is your basic cost of doing business. What it costs to keep the lights on. Tools, material that is not specific for a job, vehicles, insurance of the vehicles, advertising, general liability insurance and on and on.

You also need to pull together a list of what is covered in your $9500 quote. Something like:

Existing flooring is removed and replaced with new laminate flooring in a choice of colors and textures.

A new Stainless 2 bowl sink with a pull out sprayer. GD extra

Cabinet doors and drawer removed and resprayed with new hi-grade paint and cabinet fronts sanded and primed and painted with new hinges.

New High Pressure Laminate Counter Tops in a variety of designer colors and textures.

Dan
MTN REMODEL LLC and de-nagorg like this.

The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!
Most of all, have fun! It ticks people off and ruins their day.
ktownskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
Still learning every day!

Rewards Points: 800

If you want a "ball park" 30,000 foot perspective, given you're charge of $9,500... I would say anywhere from $10,000 to $35,000 depending on materials, complexity of work, size of floor space, and number of cabinets (but it could run even higher, and possibly a LOT higher if the kitchen is larger or in a H&G Show Home!).

Bark less, wag MORE, and Show Compassion to everyone you meet!
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,054

Out of curiosity, and it may encourage some helpfull business oriented advice for you....

On that kitchen job you did, what were your hard costs (materials etc that you paid for and to others), and how much time did you spend on the job.

Your revenue 9,500 minus those costs will give you your gross profit. And that gross profit divided by your time (in hours) will let you know your hourly earnings.

That is a very simplified analysis, but it will let you know what you earned verse what you were earning at your job.

But you need to start thinking in those specific terms to price your work and guage your competition. (Not gross generalizations of what should be the cost of a kitchen renovation.... and guessing at what you need (or should) charge.

Good luck
de-nagorg and ktownskier like this.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Your revenue 9,500 minus those costs will give you your gross profit. And that gross profit divided by your time (in hours) will let you know your hourly earnings.

That is a very simplified analysis, but it will let you know what you earned verse what you were earning at your job.
I know you just said that it's a very simplified analysis, but it's also a misleading one. Unless you factor in the taxes you have to pay, the license, bonding, and insurance costs, L&I, advertising, truck payments, truck insurance, gas, maintenance, tools, etc, it's really easy to fool yourself into thinking you're doing great on the hourly while you're actually heading for a financial reckoning when you add up all the costs that are necessary to do any of these jobs.
Get a good honest and complete assessment of all of your costs of doing business before even trying to calculate what you can make on a job.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,100

We completely gutted and remodeled our kitchen here at the house and paid $30-35k for materials alone... (We did everything but the quartz countertop cut/install ourselves.)

I'll try to remember prices on the materials... It was $10-12k for the cabinets, I think the sink was a grand, the flooring was like $2k (luxury vinyl,) fridge was $5k (used Viking, would have been $15k new,) stove was $3k, dishwasher we got on Black Friday deal for $600 I believe, sink and faucet was probably $3-3.5k, I think we paid $300 for the garbage disposal. It was around $2k for the lighting/electrical and PVC for plumbing (all new fixtures, pipes, boxes, switches, outlets, romex, ect.) I have no idea on the counter as it was an xmas present and my husband knows the owner of the company heh

Oh and I should note that everything is more expensive in Alaska, gotta pay for shipping out the nose.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 870

Ask me in a month. We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel. We put the stove, refrigerator , and a free standing cabinet in the garage. We put the microwave and coffee pot in the living room. There are cans of soup, bread, paper plates and silverware in the living room. The dishes are washed in the bathroom.

The kitchen is 12 x 12, the pantry is 6 long and 4 wide. The sheet rock I put in 40 years ago, is gone as it the lath and plaster from 1895. The knob and tube was replaced 40 years ago. Some wiring was done, some plumbing was redone. The 1895 windows are replaced, the molding is replaced with new, in the original pattern . New cabinets will be installed, some new wiring, new plumbing. Original estimate, $20,000.00. We are going to go over the original. But I trust the general, he came recommended by a local yard. I also did some work for him, in a care facility. He paid me promptly then. He has also sent commercial customers to me.

He did our bathroom remodel last spring. That was interesting. The only cost/time that was not over was the toilet. We used the old toilet.
de-nagorg and Nealtw like this.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #12

My wonderful ex-wife and I remodeled the kitchen in the house I grew up in. We had bought it from my mom when she finally realized the house was way too big for her. The house was about 3500 sq ft overall.

The kitchen was 20 ft. x 30 ft Yes, I know, but it was BIG. Take a look at the pictures below. There are more pictures of the house in my gallery.

I gutted it to the joists and rafters. Doing this allowed to correct electrical issues and run new electrical and gas lines. There were soffits above the old cabinets and we didn't want those in the new kitchen so those went too. Alas, they also hid cable which I had to re-run. But, I got the pot lights where I wanted them.

I hired a crew to do the rock, taping, muddlng and sanding. It is too much of an art and I don't have the skill or the patience to do it right. While doing the kitchen, had also turned the walk-in attic into a craft room for my ex so I had the same crew rock that area as well.

Once all the rocking was done, my daughter and I (she was about 8 or 9) put in the maple hardwood floors all the way from the front door through the entire kitchen. I put it where the cabinets would go in case sometime later, some idiot would want to change the design. I put about 1000 sq ft of maple. It was a lot of fun and my daughter had a lot of fun getting the pieces and putting them in place.

I hate to admit, but we hired Home Depot to install the cabinets. It actually saved money as the install price was less than delivery as no taxes were charged. They did good work. We had quite a few broken, wrong, scratched cabinets and they left them for us. I put them to good use in the craft room. The cabinets were Thomasville and had a lot of neat features for their time. (late 90's) I think it came to around 25K for all of them.

Both the cabinet and counter-top layout were fun to design. We didn't want a table in the kitchen as we felt that when we entertained, most people ended up in the kitchen and wanted to help or chat or eat. So the long, angled peninsula was a great idea that my ex had. Plus it allowed more storage. And, the counter-top gave us an eating area as well as a place for the kids to do homework. The sink was integrated so that we had that smooth seamless look we wanted.

Looking back, about the only things I would change was put the microwave higher. Add a bigger wine rack or a wine fridge. Create a coffee bar area. And add more outlets.

I love my back-splash. I think I made a great design. I wish I had added more of the leaf tiles throughout the rest of the back splash though. I love doing tile work, there is so much you can do with it.

Tale a look at my gallery (I think that is what it is called) and you can see all of the work I did on the house. Only the end results though.

And yes, I do think my ex-wife is wonderful. We actually get along. We just grew apart. She spends time with my family back in Minnesota, she dog sits my brothers dog. She has even spent the holidays with my family. And, she has stayed with my new wife when she has been out here. And they like each other.
Attached Thumbnails
How much does it cost to remodel a kitchen-kit1.jpg   How much does it cost to remodel a kitchen-kit2.jpg   How much does it cost to remodel a kitchen-kit3.jpg   How much does it cost to remodel a kitchen-kit4.jpg  
MTN REMODEL LLC and de-nagorg like this.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,490

How long did it take you, how much work do you have per year and do you get a living wage from it per year? This may be laughable, but health insurance and able to save for rainy day as well as maybe for kids? How much competition?
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
How long did it take you, how much work do you have per year and do you get a living wage from it per year? This may be laughable, but health insurance and able to save for rainy day as well as maybe for kids? How much competition?
@carpdad If that was directed at me, then, the few flips I do does makes sense, and cents. But, it is not my main source of income.

I have done both live in flips, and flips on the side. By far, the live in flips are the more profitable as I have turned them into rental properties and then sold them.

The side flips are usually by them quick, clean 'em up, do some minor make-overs, paint, clean up the landscape, and then sell them quick. But, as Mike Holmes says: Do it right. I make sure the homes are sound and don't need much other than some TLC.

I make sure that they are something that I would want to have my kids live in. But, then I have lived in flips that I got sick in and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Flipping isn't for anyone who wants to do it right. For anyone who wants to make a quick buck by doing it with lip-stick and band-aids, then pass them off as upgraded. Well, Karma is a *****.
de-nagorg likes this.

Old Today, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykillian72 View Post
You should retile some of your kitchen too while your at it. Use good quality tiling adhesives Strathpine and they will lasts a lifetime.
Welcome to the forum.

I presume that you are from "The land Down Under" at least from my perspective lining in Colorado. Please consider putting your location in your CP or profile. It will help us help you better.

Some of the items in your link are not available here in the states or are available under another name. Also, some may not be allowed due to local code.

Again, welcome to the forum, we look forward to your questions. And also, consider the age of the post before you reply. This one was a few months old. Not that that is an issue though.

Last edited by beenthere; Today at 02:37 PM. Reason: Removed spam link from post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement