How To Move A Bathtub Surround Into Place? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joecaption

Old 01-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

How to move a bathtub surround into place?

I feel dumb asking this, but I can't seem to figure out how to move a three-panel fiberglass bathtub surround into place. The bathtub is 60-inches wide, and the rear panel is also exactly 60-inches wide. The width of the bathroom is also 60-inches (if I remove all the drywalls). The rear fiberglass panel is shaped like a U with two pieces that stick forward to connect to the side panels (see attached image). Even if I remove the drywalls, I don't see how I can maneuver this piece over the bathtub. The side projections of the rear panel will need more than 60-inches to rotate into position. However, I have seen identical bathrooms where the same style of tub surround has been installed, so I am sure it can be done, some how. The only alternative I can think of is to cut the surround and then glue it back in place. But that will destroy the look of the surround, and may become a potential source of leak.
Attached Thumbnails
How to move a bathtub  surround into place?-885612267337.jpg  
asarangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: How to move a bathtub surround into place?

Remove the drywall all the way to the top of the panel or go get a renovators shower stall that comes with three piece walls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #3
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

I agree.... that specific horseshoe enclosure isn't very forgiving to get into a bathroom let alone properly in place - then there are the problems of

is base perfectly level and are walls perfectly square & and all at perpendicular angles

IMO that style is used when interior walls can be removed/demoed but a 1-piece tub won't walk into house through existing door openings for example

Don't cut it !!!

Peace
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,890

Hard to see if there's a nailing fin in the picture, and there's no make or model # mentioned.
What's the directions that came with say about how it gets attached?
The ones with the nailing fin the sheetrock gets removed all the way to the ceiling and it gets nailed directly to the studs with galv. roofing nails and the new sheetrock covers up the nailing fin.
Yodaman likes this.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Hard to see if there's a nailing fin in the picture, and there's no make or model # mentioned.
What's the directions that came with say about how it gets attached?
The ones with the nailing fin the sheetrock gets removed all the way to the ceiling and it gets nailed directly to the studs with galv. roofing nails and the new sheetrock covers up the nailing fin.
Yes, there is a nailing fin at the top of the panels. But that is not the problem. The width of the panel is 60-inches, and the stud spacing is also 60-inches, and the panel has a non-zero thickness. If the bathroom were wider, then I could see how it may be possible to place the panel directly in front of the bathtub and push it in. However, the bathroom is also 60-inches wide, so it has to be brought in through the door at an angle and rotated into place. The width of the panel (which is about 6-inches due to the curvatures at the edges) makes the total diagonal width greater than 60-inches.
The model is Sterling Ensemble #71374800-0
asarangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,372

If you already have finished drywall in place, think I would be returning that one pc surround and looking at a 3 or 5 pc unit. Don't buy anything thinner than a 5mm wall. JMHO
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,726

May as well have bought a one piece tub, you take down studs to get them in.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,768

Having installed a few of those things in my day, I can say they can be one of the most frustrating projects for anyone. As DR P mentioned, the walls/studs all have to be plumb and square. If they are not, you will be shimming A LOT to get the surround to fit properly.

Now, I have to ask a question and don't take this the wrong way......but, are you assembling the 3 pieces outside of the bathroom and then taking it in to fit? Or, are you placing the back piece and then bringing in the 2 end pieces to fit into the back piece? Most of the 3 piece units require the placing of the long 60 inch piece first, making sure it's plumb and square......then the two end pieces generally fit in nicely, almost like puzzle pieces.

EDIT: Never mind, I see that your unit is an all-in-one. Yodaman is right. Return the one-piece unit and buy the 3-piece unit. Much easier install for sure.........
Old 01-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Having installed a few of those things in my day, I can say they can be one of the most frustrating projects for anyone. As DR P mentioned, the walls/studs all have to be plumb and square. If they are not, you will be shimming A LOT to get the surround to fit properly.

Now, I have to ask a question and don't take this the wrong way......but, are you assembling the 3 pieces outside of the bathroom and then taking it in to fit? Or, are you placing the back piece and then bringing in the 2 end pieces to fit into the back piece? Most of the 3 piece units require the placing of the long 60 inch piece first, making sure it's plumb and square......then the two end pieces generally fit in nicely, almost like puzzle pieces.
The surround is one piece.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,768

That unit did not get very good reviews:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sterling-En...-in/1000132905
Advertisement