How To Fix Tiling Mistake - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2015, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 396

how to fix tiling mistake

when putting the bottom wall tile up against the floor I forgot to set a spacer between the floor because I had a piece of plywood down to protect the floor.

Either way, I need to get a gap in there so I can put some grout in. It's outside the shower but right outside the shower so it's not unreasonable to expect some water will get to the crack and I'd like to make sure it's actually grouted.

Idea's? Can I use a dremel oscillating tool to trim off the tile? the tile is travertine if that helps at all. Also, it's like a 2 inch piece of tile I actually have to trim, so it's not that much.

If I can use the oscillating tool, is there a certain head for it that would be best?
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

If I'm following what you're saying, you do not want grout in there. Caulk is the right product. If you could post a pic it would be helpful.

Sounds like the outside of the shower curb, yes? Is the bathroom floor finished yet? Wooden or slab floors?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
If I'm following what you're saying, you do not want grout in there. Caulk is the right product. If you could post a pic it would be helpful.

Sounds like the outside of the shower curb, yes? Is the bathroom floor finished yet? Wooden or slab floors?

Jaz
right outside the shower, floor is finished. I'm fine with caulk instead, but I think I still need to create the indent for the caulk to live.

Pictures... (first one zoomed, second one back.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Tileguy

Either leave it alone and caulk it, or remove the one piece and cut off ⅛".

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 10-26-2015, 05:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan
Either leave it alone and caulk it, or remove the one piece and cut off ⅛". Jaz
What's a good tool for removing it?

I'm assuming the oscillating tool will break up the thinset without breaking everything?
Old 10-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 17,884

Something sure looks really wrong there.
Sure looks like your trying to install that tile right over OSB!
Where's the 1/4" tile board.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Something sure looks really wrong there. Sure looks like your trying to install that tile right over OSB! Where's the 1/4" tile board.
The blue plywood is just there to protect the floor. Outside the shower it's over drywall for a short bit.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:10 PM   #8
Tileguy

Joe thought your bathroom floor tiles looked like OSB, and he's right, looks a lot like it from here.

Jaz

Old 10-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,680

The floor tiles are the same as the wall tiles, and they do look a little like OSB, but clearly they're tile.

As for the original question, if you don't like the look of the lack of gap at the bottom of the tile, then pry out the tile (for example with a large screwdriver). Scrape off the thinset from the wall if some stays behind. Cut a new piece of tile about 1/8" shorter than that one. Reinstall the tile. Caulk the gap with the matching caulk from the grout manufacturer.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement