How Do I Mix Small Amounts Of Grout - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How do I mix small amounts of grout

Although I have a big job to grout, i can only work in small batches. My sanded grout givees directions for 25 lbs. That is gonna be way to much to work with at one time. Do you have a formula in mixing sanded grout.
The kind I have is Poly Blend. Thanks
asiatheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,130

I sometimes work in small batches too. Actually, I don't remember the last time I mixed an entire bag of grout at once.

I don't use any "formula." Grout that's too wet or too dry is not good, but there's a lot of room in between. The consistency is often personal preference. I just fill a bucket with a quart or two of water and then slowly add grout to the consistency I want. It also helps to have a grout mixer attachment for an electric drill.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

It doesn't hurt to put the dry grout in a small bucket. Add-in as much as you want visually. Then begin adding small amounts of water and mixing until you have the consistency of peanut-butter. Mix, let it stand ten minutes, then mix again.

Polyblend is easy to work with.

Just be careful near the end of your mixing process that you don't add too much water late. Grout isn't very forgiving and it is easy to over-water it when mixing it.
Advertisement