How Difficult It It To Remove A Tile, Scrape Off The Old Mastic And Replace It? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Studly
 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2019, 07:06 PM  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 240
Rewards Points: 397
Default

How difficult it it to remove a tile, scrape off the old mastic and replace it?


We are doing our first backsplash tile installation in our kitchen. We are using 3x12" tiles and we'd like to replace two tiles that were put up with mastic about 2 weeks ago, but are not yet grouted. How difficult it is to remove those tiles without damaging adjacent ones, and once we get them removed, how hard is it to scrape off the mastic that is left behind on the wall? We used Tec Type 1 Mastic. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
Studly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2019, 07:10 PM  
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 25,391
Rewards Points: 18,672
Default

Re: How difficult it it to remove a tile, scrape off the old mastic and replace it?


I think, non of the above. What is the problem?


__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.

Last edited by Nealtw; 04-29-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Nealtw is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2019, 09:07 PM  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 240
Rewards Points: 397
Default

Re: How difficult it it to remove a tile, scrape off the old mastic and replace it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I think, non of the above. What is the problem?



Thanks ... yeah, I did see that video before posting, but isn't that thinset behind that tile that they pulled off? Was wondering if mastic is any different as far as being easier or more difficult to get off the wall.


We are replacing the tiles because we want to change the spacing. Originally we thought they wouldn't be visible behind our stove so spaced them out to avoid using small pieces at the end. But turns out the edge of them does show behind our stove and so does our too large of gap.
Studly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2019, 09:15 PM  
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 25,391
Rewards Points: 18,672
Default

Re: How difficult it it to remove a tile, scrape off the old mastic and replace it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Studly View Post
Thanks ... yeah, I did see that video before posting, but isn't that thinset behind that tile that they pulled off? Was wondering if mastic is any different as far as being easier or more difficult to get off the wall.


We are replacing the tiles because we want to change the spacing. Originally we thought they wouldn't be visible behind our stove so spaced them out to avoid using small pieces at the end. But turns out the edge of them does show behind our stove and so does our too large of gap.
Yeah, the face paper of the drywall will likely come off with the tile.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now  
Old 04-30-2019, 08:59 AM  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 240
Rewards Points: 397
Default

Re: How difficult it it to remove a tile, scrape off the old mastic and replace it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Yeah, the face paper of the drywall will likely come off with the tile.

Thanks for the info. May not do it after all.
Nealtw likes this.
Studly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repairing a botched tile job Mike Milam Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 6 10-26-2017 05:34 PM
Asbestos tile and mastic phillyDIYER Flooring 14 08-21-2011 01:46 PM
tile man used mastic glue on entrance to shower keyesww Tiling, ceramics, marble 13 06-08-2010 04:39 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts