How Difficult Is Might This Tub Install Be? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How difficult might this tub install be?

We're taking our 1978 bathroom down to the studs, and it's on a slab. Our current tub is a 30", and we want to upgrade to a 32". The plumber wants $1500 to install the new one, which to me is ridiculous, so I'm going to attempt it myself. Attached is a picture of what the current tub is sitting on. That's just dirt in that hole right? To me, that's plenty wide to move the drain over 1". I'm not too confident in my copper sweating abilities, but I need to get better at that anyway, so I will.

The tub we're looking at is: http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...od_num=1123-LA

Pretty basic tub, looks like it requires mortar beds under the feet. Is it a good idea to expand that mortar bed under the whole thing for more support?

If you didn't already guess, this will be my first tub installation.
Attached Thumbnails
How difficult is might this tub install be?-img_0012-large-.jpg  

Last edited by spidrw; 02-11-2010 at 10:54 AM.
spidrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I doubt that there will be any copper sweating involved. At least not on the drain if that's what you are refering to. If the supply lines are copper and you plan moving the tub fill and mixer valve to the center of the tub drain then yes you will get in some practice( You may be able to just move it over an inch) Follow the instructions on the mortar if required. Looks like dirt to me, btw. I would look for an offset coupling for the drain (ABS?) before I pulled the tub out. The other approach would be to offset the overflow.
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Actually moving the drain pipe over only an inch shouldn't require you to change anything from what I see. Simply twist the new fittings to the new location. That stuff doesn't have to be perfectly straight to be done right.

The fittings can be turned and there should be a tail-piece that will allow some adjustment/extension also. I think you're in luck.

The nut I see can be lossened (maybe discarded) and new plastic pipes fitted to what's there now.

OH....and I agree....$1500 is a smack in the face.
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

Very much not an expert here, but I briefly considered a similar project. After much thought and research I wimped out and kept the old one.

What is the new tub made of? I took a quick glance at your link but didn't see it. Consider how heavy it is and picture step by step how you're are going to get it in the room and put in place. Do you have a narrow bathroom door? From what I've read getting a tub into position in a framed in area can be quite a challenge. At least you have the advantage that your bathroom will be taken down to the studs and you don't have to work around your toilet and vanity (which was one reason I wimped out).

It appears you have access to both sides of the stud in your picture. Is this accurate or did you have to hold your camera against a wall to get that pic. If the latter, how are you planning to access the drain to connect it? This was the final deal breaker for me as there was absolutely no way for us to access it from the other side of the wall.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Very much not an expert here, but I briefly considered a similar project. After much thought and research I wimped out and kept the old one.

What is the new tub made of? I took a quick glance at your link but didn't see it. Consider how heavy it is and picture step by step how you're are going to get it in the room and put in place. Do you have a narrow bathroom door? From what I've read getting a tub into position in a framed in area can be quite a challenge. At least you have the advantage that your bathroom will be taken down to the studs and you don't have to work around your toilet and vanity (which was one reason I wimped out).

It appears you have access to both sides of the stud in your picture. Is this accurate or did you have to hold your camera against a wall to get that pic. If the latter, how are you planning to access the drain to connect it? This was the final deal breaker for me as there was absolutely no way for us to access it from the other side of the wall.

The new tub is fiberglass, like the old one, however the old one is a normal, builder's standard tub, and only holds about 10.5" of water. That's the main driver for the entire remodel.

The bathroom door is only 24", but from what I can tell, that shouldn't be a problem with the new tub, as there's plenty of room outside of the door to get the tub in. The toilet is fairly close to where the tub is now, and I agree that if that wasn't being removed, the tub switch would be impossible. As for plumbing access, the drain wall backs up to the vanity wall in another bathroom, so cutting a hole in the wall under the vanity in there is easy enough. Plus, that bathroom is next anyway, so repairing it won't be a big deal.
spidrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement