Historic Home Tiny Bath Remodel! - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes

Old 07-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 129
Send a message via AIM to stiksandstones Send a message via Skype™ to stiksandstones

Historic home tiny bath remodel!

Hey all, last time I was on this forum, you all helped me remodel my new tract house master bathroom, came out AMAZING-but, we sold the house 6 years ago haha. We now live in a tiny historic house in so cal.

Attached are some drawings of current lay out, and what I am proposing, also a fisheye lens shot of the SMALL bathroom to get an idea.

So, I want to convert the 2 small closets we have, into the SHOWER stall, to give us more bathroom for the 3 of us (me, wife, 12yr old daughter).

I can convert one of the closets into a SMALL shelf pantry only, because I can leave the original hallway door in tact, historic feng shui doesnt get disrupted, as all the doors are original and centered, etc.....the other bedroom closet is my daughters, she will lose about 8", which is fine.

I already cut a 12" x 6" square out of the dividing closet wall, lathe plaster wall, to see whats doing in there, no structural beams that I can see.

Can get into the specifics later, but just looking for some advice on if we should proceed.

Current setup, the shower is in the middle of the room basically, so friggin annoying, when 2 of us are in there, its a trainwreck, I think this is only solution.

Going with this proposed idea, gives us a bit more room in the shower (about 2" one way and 4" the other!) and gets the damn thing out of the middle of the room. I'd need to shift some plumbing around, but nothing too major.

What say you experts on a rad old house?
Attached Thumbnails
Historic home tiny bath remodel!-screen-shot-2017-07-08-12.35.42-pm.jpg   Historic home tiny bath remodel!-screen-shot-2017-07-08-12.34.14-pm.png   Historic home tiny bath remodel!-screen-shot-2017-07-08-12.35.15-pm.jpg  

Last edited by stiksandstones; 07-08-2017 at 02:45 PM.
stiksandstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,594

Re: Historic home tiny bath remodel!

I don't see a problem as long as you can do without the full size of the second closet. It may be the shower is more of a priority. The little shelf pantry may be a good choice, too if the shower doesn't need that space.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
stiksandstones (07-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to stiksandstones Send a message via Skype™ to stiksandstones

Shower and bathroom layout is priority, that closet right now (the one that will shrink to a pantry) is pretty useless, just a junk closet.

I just tore into that wall dividing the 2, went for it...hope im doing the right thing hahaha.
Chicken Lady likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #4

So, got the divider wall tore out, and tore out all the closet interior walls, down to the studs-that lath and plaster was a chore! The studs are 2.5x2, which I know is old school. The 2 pics attached are the wall as I started and then the one with all walls gone down to studs-I left the lath plaster on the other sides of course and plan to leave them as is...the blue tape on the floor is what I propose is the new shower stall.

I dont have time to do this whole job because I work full time and we also only have ONE BATH in the house! so we are going to stay at our in laws down the street for a few weeks while I hire tile, plumber, etc....

I suspect I could frame out the shower stall, and drywall the exterior walls?
Attached Thumbnails
Historic home tiny bath remodel!-screen-shot-2017-07-12-7.59.36-pm.jpg   Historic home tiny bath remodel!-screen-shot-2017-07-12-7.59.51-pm.jpg  
123pugsy likes this.

Last edited by stiksandstones; 07-12-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:06 AM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,474

I converted a closet to a shower one time, I found a 1 peice acrylic shower that was 36 wide and 28 deep. A little tight but it worked.
I would do a full with vanity with 2 sinks.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #6

I have a stud that has termite damage, just one stud in this wall, Can I put a fresh stud next to it, or do I have to remove the old one? Also, its an old stud size, about 2.5"x1.75" will I be able to find studs this size?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:07 AM   #7
Naildriver

Make sure the termite activity has been abated. Sistering the stud is fine if it is an external wall, since you may have sheathing or brick strapping attached to it. If it is an internal wall, I would remove it, but it isn't totally necessary since the weight is vertical and a new stud next to it will reinforce that needed strength.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
stiksandstones (07-15-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,474

If you are leaving questionable wood in place paint it with end treatment for treated wood.
Just cut a bigger stud to fit.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
stiksandstones (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 01:39 AM   #9

It is an internal wall, i'd assume remove and replace, but its attached to the bathroom wall of lathe and plaster, afraid the nails going into that rotted stud will cause a bunch of plaster cracking on the bathroom side-but, leaving a rotted stud in there seems insane?
Old 07-15-2017, 01:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
If you are leaving questionable wood in place paint it with end treatment for treated wood.
Just cut a bigger stud to fit.
You mean take a 2x4 or whatever is new, and trim to match my old school studs?
Old 07-15-2017, 05:46 AM   #11
Naildriver

Most likely with lath and plaster, your 2x4's are not in today's nominal dimension, so you will need to cut the stud slightly longer so it will be forced into the opening to sister the old one, and make sure it is brought to the edge using a level across 3 studs before fastening it. I am sure you will find a gap behind it when you do. Since the old stud is part of lath and plaster, I agree, do not remove it. Just make the new sister fit tight and flush.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #12

Also, its apparent on the base wood of the framing, some old water damage-and the drama continues with this project. I should probably replace that section as well? with the lath and plaster, tearing out the old shower, I suspect a lot more framing repair/replacements than I had planned.
Attached Thumbnails
Historic home tiny bath remodel!-screen-shot-2017-07-15-8.01.34-am.jpg  
Old 07-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #13

Also, pressure treated wood for this shower framing?
Old 07-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #14
Naildriver

It will depend on the condition of the bottom plate. It is old wood, so it is probably more sound than today's wood. Poke it with a thin screw driver to see if it is punky. If not, you can spray a treatment on it and keep going. No to the pressure treated framing for the shower. PT tends to shrink and warp when left to its own devices. Having no support, they will twist, so stick to regular SPF or whatever nominal lumber is available in your area.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #15

and....This hodge podge of drywall/lathe should probably all be replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
Historic home tiny bath remodel!-screen-shot-2017-07-15-11.06.10-am.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement