Help! Where To Begin On Remodeling This Bathroom - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By jwielgolinski
  • 1 Post By RRH

Old 08-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Help! Where to begin on remodeling this bathroom

The tub in my new home is enclosed in something like drywall and it sits on a wall with a window. That window makes it tough to install a surround I've been told but something needs to be done to facelift this room. Any and all suggetions are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Where to begin on remodeling this bathroom-0829172030.jpg   Help! Where to begin on remodeling this bathroom-0829172033.jpg  
MJT0989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12

Re: Help! Where to begin on remodeling this bathroom

Are you remodeling the whole bathroom?

For the window, not sure if you want to keep it or not. If you don't you could start by removing the window and getting it framed in and sealed. Then remove the tub and put whatever shower/tub you want in there. It all just depends on what you want to do.

There are so many possibilities with this. The joys of remodeling are endless.
colohandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 20

Per code you will either need the window or an exhaust fan. Make sure you have one. Since egress is not an issue, you could always shorten the window. Easy enough to do as ling as you don't make it wider.

My suggestion would be to install an exhaust fan, shorten the window and use glass block/non op frosted window (privacy with some natural light) and get rid of tub in favor of a walk in shower stall (unless it is the only tub... then you have resale to consider).

This is a lot of work. Not only inside, but outside too... If you shorten the window, how will you address the exterior covering? Is it stucco? Fairly easy. Is it siding? Can you match it... What about paint color?
Nik333, Nealtw and colohandyman like this.

Last edited by jwielgolinski; 08-31-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Add detail.
jwielgolinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 462

You could tile and replace the window with something wet friendly, Glass blocks as was suggested. The sill will need to be a solid solid surface material like Corian or stone with a slight tip downward toward the tub. The tub has to go obviously. I would also want to take out that low alcove ceiling above the tub- raise that to the height of the rest of the bathroom ceiling.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT0989 View Post
The tub in my new home is enclosed in something like drywall and it sits on a wall with a window. That window makes it tough to install a surround I've been told but something needs to be done to facelift this room. Any and all suggetions are welcome!
Hello Friend,

Well I found this article om Medium.com on bathroom remodeling ideas. Hope that will be bit helpful for you.
Read here.
nyhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,314

Everything needs to come out and delete the window
joecaption likes this.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 17,884

I agree, that's the wrong tub for a shower area.
Key question is what's on the outside wall for siding?
I also agree 100% about getting rid of that window.
What's above the ceiling in that room, reason I ask is if it's an attic a vent should be added, and if you want natural lighting a Solar Tube could be added.
Advertisement