Help W/ Walk-In Shower/Bathroom Layout - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nobbyv

Old 10-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 234

Help w/ Walk-In Shower/Bathroom Layout

Building a new house, acting as my own GC, and out of my league here: the bathroom layout calls for a drop-in tub in the upper left corner, and a walk-in shower in the lower left hand corner. There's a window that on the wall between the the shower and tub area. We've made a few changes from this layout, but this is the basic idea:

The area I'm wondering about is where the tub deck and the shower enclosure meet: we ended up having to move the shower head to where the "bench" appears on the plan above, and put the bench on the opposite side on the wall that butts up against the tub deck. My question is what do we actually do with that wall? We have a bench, so we'll have solid wall up 18" or so. But for the rest of that wall of the shower enclosure, what would you recommend? I'd love to do glass on the upper part of that wall, but am I rapidly moving from a price range of getting a "semi-custom" shower door to one where I'm going to need a full custom door company to build it? What's the approximate cost delta on something like that? 25%? 100%?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by nobbyv; 10-25-2018 at 08:09 PM.
nobbyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 02:41 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,874

Re: Help w/ Walk-In Shower/Bathroom Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbyv View Post
Building a new house, acting as my own GC, and out of my league here: the bathroom layout calls for a drop-in tub in the upper left corner, and a walk-in shower in the lower left hand corner. There's a window that on the wall between the the shower and tub area. We've made a few changes from this layout, but this is the basic idea:

The area I'm wondering about is where the tub deck and the shower enclosure meet: we ended up having to move the shower head to where the "bench" appears on the plan above, and put the bench on the opposite side on the wall that butts up against the tub deck. My question is what do we actually do with that wall? We have a bench, so we'll have solid wall up 18" or so. But for the rest of that wall of the shower enclosure, what would you recommend? I'd love to do glass on the upper part of that wall, but am I rapidly moving from a price range of getting a "semi-custom" shower door to one where I'm going to need a full custom door company to build it? What's the approximate cost delta on something like that? 25%? 100%?

Thanks for any input!
The usual program is to build the tub surround including the bench in the shower, Tile everything and then add the glass surround .
The bench absolutely needs a slope and better waterproofing and anything else .
It should semi separate if that makes sense so that inside the shower you have room for the slope and a membrane below the tile.
I have repaired a few of these and that is the leaky spot every time.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 04:46 AM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,692

Another solution would be to add an after market bench. I have installed these for people with disabilities and they really like them. Some will lift to a flat position so they are out of the way. The ones I have installed have teak slats so they are "homey", but waterproof.

Tough question here, so don't be offended. Is that spa and all the windows going to be to your liking? Remember if the windows come down to the level of the tub, they must be tempered. Looking out also means looking in, and occluding windows completely is not 100% in most cases. We are located adjacent to the USFS area so only bear and deer look in, but in many urban settings I can see it to be a detriment.

Without the spa and one window you could have a nice walk in shower WITHOUT a door and all the cleaning associated with it. Properly placed controls could direct water away from the opening. Just some points to ponder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Tough question here, so don't be offended. Is that spa and all the windows going to be to your liking? Remember if the windows come down to the level of the tub, they must be tempered. Looking out also means looking in, and occluding windows completely is not 100% in most cases. We are located adjacent to the USFS area so only bear and deer look in, but in many urban settings I can see it to be a detriment.
The windows are already in, and they are tempered. This bathroom is on the second floor of the house, which sits on 7 acres, so we also will have views of little more than deer, turkeys and trees.
chandler48 likes this.
nobbyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement