Help! Toilet Flange Question - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Help! toilet flange question

Hey Everyone, I'm new to plumbing so I could use some help. I have a 1964 house with crawl space and I am trying to remodel my bathroom.
The bathroom had old tile with about 2" mud set. I have removed the mud and tiles.

My toilet however is now causing me problems.

When I removed the toilet I found it had been leaking due to a crack where the cast iron flange (?) connects to a lead drain pipe. (The lead pipe connects with a cast iron closet drain pipe about a foot down- this looks to be okay). So I am wondering how to fix the flange?

Can I repair the pipe somehow?
Should I get a new flange?

I plan on installing plywood then backerboard then my new tiles. I am worried that the height of the toilet flange will be too high since it was already 3/4" higher than the old tile.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

*** Notice the crack in second photo
Attached Images

1stimediyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,884

Whole lot easier to do what your doing if you snap off the old drain below the floor.
Install a hubless connector and run a new piece of PVC and new flange once the subfloor and tile is done so the flange is sitting even with the finished floor.
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Whole lot easier to do what your doing if you snap off the old drain below the floor.
Install a hubless connector and run a new piece of PVC and new flange once the subfloor and tile is done so the flange is sitting even with the finished floor.
Basically, what he said. Also, show some pictures with the mud and everything removed, it would give a better idea how to help, and if you could take a photo underneath. It could be a pretty simple fix, but if there is a crack anywhere, you want to replace that part without a doubt.
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement