Help With Repair Of Soap Holder In Bath Tile - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

Help with repair of soap holder in bath tile

My soap holder (ceramic I believe) fell off today and was hoping to get some advice to reinstall it.

Should I plaster it back or use some sort of glue? Or both?

First time home owner so please be detailed on what I need to buy if possible. Thanks so much for any advice!

See attached pictures for details. Cheers,
Nug
Attached Thumbnails
Help with repair of soap holder in bath tile-1457917167928.jpg   Help with repair of soap holder in bath tile-1457917189789.jpg   Help with repair of soap holder in bath tile-1457917201916.jpg  
nugentoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Re: Help with repair of soap holder in bath tile

Liquid Nails or a Hot Glue Gun will work. The problem is that once water gets through the grout lines, then the mortar ends up becoming loose and more tiles start falling off. I would check all tiles and make sure that there are no other loose ones.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #3

Hi Greg,

Should I remove all of the previous old mortar/plaster before applying the liquid nails?

What would you recommend I can use to seal the grout lines to prevent water entering it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 12:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

I would try and use a small chisel or multi-knife to get as much off of the wall and back of the dish. The better that it can sit flush, the better you will have in getting a colored Bath anti-fungal/anti-mold to help seal the grout area after attached. A Hot Glue Gun is easier to use for attaching, since it hardens quicker and you do not have to let it be taped in place for a day.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,434

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugentoffer View Post
My soap holder (ceramic I believe) fell off today and was hoping to get some advice to reinstall it.
Quote:
Should I remove all of the previous old mortar/plaster before applying the liquid nails?

What would you recommend I can use to seal the grout lines to prevent water entering it?
With all due respect to gregzoll, I must disagree with the advice given.

While I agree that you should check the other tiles to make sure that none of them are becoming loose (by tapping them and checking for any which have a "hollow" sound), it appears from the photographs that the remaining grout is intact.

You should remove as much of the existing ceramic tile adhesive from the fitting, the edges of the tiles and the wall-board substrate. (Try and avoid any significant damage to the substrate.)
Careful scraping may remove this adhesive, but soaking with water could assist with its removal, since the adhesive appears to be "water-based". (Soak the fitting first, to see if that helps.)
(If the adhesive is rubber based - which it does not appear to be - try kerosene, or similar.)

When you have removed as much of this adhesive as possible, allow both the fitting and the wall to dry thoroughly (At least 24 hours at 72 F or above)

Re-affix the fitting, using a pre-mixed ceramic tile adhesive and following the directions on the pack. Small quantities can be purchased at DIY stores. (Since the fitting appears to be "inset", tile spacers should not be necessary.)

Any gaps around the edge should be filled with a with a suitable cement based tile grout, your main difficulty here being able to buy only the small quantity required. Otherwise, you could use an Acrylic Gap Sealant.
(I do NOT recommend silicone.)
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #6

Hi Frodo,

Thanks for the input.

Is there a reason why you think the hot glue gun method would not work in this application to reaffix the soap dish?

Is there a brand of premixed adhesive you would recommend? I see premixed mastic adhesive, assume that's the same thing?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:21 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,434

Quote:

Is there a reason why you think the hot glue gun method would not work in this application to reaffix the soap dish?

Is there a brand of premixed adhesive you would recommend? I see premixed mastic adhesive, assume that's the same thing?
The hot glue method may work, as may any brand of rubber cement for affixing floor tiles. However, it is simply not the way that this job should be done. Apart from any other consideration, it is unlikely to fill the void behind the fitting and the wall substrate, since the fitting appears to be "inset", with the "rim" against the tiles, leaving a gap which was filled by the (cement based ?) adhesive previously used - as shown in your photos.

I am quite surprised that a tiler has not come across this post and told you the same thing !

You may note from my "heading" that I am in Melbourne, Australia - so I cannot recommend any US brands.
I suggest that you look up "Ceramic Tile Adhesive" (at Walmart - or similar) and choose one which is sold premixed in a small quantity - preferably "rubber/latex based."

Read the directions on the pack. Items designed for repairs like this often state that the are "quick-grab" or "quick setting". At worst, all you should need to do is to hold the fitting in position by two strips of masking tape and avoid getting the surface wet for 24 hours. If necessary, tape a sheet of plastic over the job until the 24 hours has past.

(From your photos, it appears that the fitting was not "grouted" along the lower edge. This may have let in water and contributed to its falling off.)
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement