Help Me Remodel My Master Bathroom - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Help me remodel my master bathroom

We've bought a house with a crappy master bathroom. The shower is tiny and builder grade, and the closet is too small. There's a big old garden tub in one corner taking up way too much room. So, our plan is to remove the garden tub, put a new tile shower in its place, and remove the old shower which will allow us room to expand the closet.

Here is a side-by-side picture of what I'm thinking of doing. The entrance to the shower is at a diagonal (a swinging euro-style door). I added a small set of shelves in the toilet room for towels and such.

What do you think? As you can see, because I need clearance to get to the toilet area, I need a diagonal passage between the shower and closet space. Thus, I thought the best way to maximize the closet walls would be to place the entrance to the closet at that diagonal.

How would you design the closet? We primarily need space for hanging clothes, but we could probably do with two shelving areas for shoes and baskets.

Thanks for your advice!
mirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,536

I wonder maybe if your closet entrance would not be better served coming directly off the bedroom instead of having to go through the bathroom to get to it? Right now you have the entrance in front of the toilet. You've created kind of a traffic area in a section of the bathroom that should be private.

Last edited by Bob Sanders; 09-12-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
I wonder maybe if your closet entrance would not be better served coming directly off the bedroom instead of having to go through the bathroom to get to it? Right now you have the entrance in front of the toilet. You've created kind of a traffic area in a section of the bathroom that should be private.
Yes, we considered that. However, we need that wall in the Master Bedroom, and using a corner of the closet for the entrance maximizes the straight (and more useable) wall space in the closet while also creating an access point to the toilet area.

Regarding privacy of the toilet area, that's an important consideration - we think the new design actually adds more privacy than what we've got currently. The extension of the new closet walls better screens the toilet area from the double vanity, and we've added a wall between the toilet and the new shower area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 354

Have you considered leaving the closet entrance where it is and adding a door to the commode area for added privacy while someone else is utilizing the other areas of the bath?
Attached Thumbnails
Help me remodel my master bathroom-bath.jpg  
Old 09-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
Have you considered leaving the closet entrance where it is and adding a door to the commode area for added privacy while someone else is utilizing the other areas of the bath?
Yes, that was my first idea. The problems were that, first, if you leave the closet entrance where it is, you really don't end up expanding it much in terms of usable closet wall space. As you can see from your picture (nice job, btw - that's almost exactly what I first came up with!), the closet entrance breaks up one of the long walls, and you get that funky closet corner forming the diagonal to the toilet area that's just not very useful. Second, I don't recall my exact measurements, but I think you also end up with a very narrow passage/door to the toilet area that's only about 24" wide, right? Unfortunately, every wall and door takes up precious inches in an already small space!

And I'm definitely cognizant of how tacky it is to not screen off the toilet area - when I was touring homes, I saw lots of master bathrooms with the toilet sitting out in broad daylight right next to the vanities or shower. My hope was to at least screen it off a bit more with the closet and shower walls.

Unfortunately, I've only got so much area to work with. Trying to get a nicer shower and a bigger closet.

Last edited by mirak; 09-12-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 719

What about a pocket door and keep it in front of vanity instead of the angle wall
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct18 View Post
What about a pocket door and keep it in front of vanity instead of the angle wall
So, using the orientation of the pictures in this thread, the pocket door would slide out horizontally from the long closet wall over to the shower wall (assuming it was designed so those two walls lined up)? That would partition the vanity and shower from the closet and toilet.

Better option might be for the pocket door to slide out from the small wall dividing the toilet from the closet, but that would mean I would need to extend the shower wall so the pocket door would have something to join with. Not sure I can make that work geometrically.

I'm really not so concerned about the toilet as I am about having a usable closet.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 105

Without drawing it out, I wonder if you would end up with more usable rod space by making the toilet area wider. A longer straight run there parallel to the bedroom wall. This could also make the area in front of the shower a little less congested.
MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

Got the rest of the measurements? Hard to say without the layout in scale.
ChiTownPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement