Help Cutting Cabinet Filler Boards - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2014, 04:44 PM  

Rewards Points: 68

help cutting cabinet filler boards

Hi,

Embarking on my first cabinet install.. I have to cut two filler boards (left and right) about 2.5 inches each. At issue is how to secure and cut these boards with a circular saw, or other recommendations on having them cut. I have limited tools

Any suggestions on how to secure them? I planned to screw the 'keep' side of the filler board to a piece of plywood by piloting some holes through the plywood and driving the screws up towards the back of the filler. the cut line would be 'hanging' free for the blade.

(as opposed to clamping at both ends) since my filler is about 3.5 inches wide and need to run the saw over the entire length of the board.

This leaves me with an issue of fencing the saw. I could clamp a guide on top the filler but seems like a lot of trouble.. hope there is a easier way, but I'm not a carpenter..

Any other way to make these cuts with a basic circular saw/limited tools?

Thanks

Last edited by mycorrado; 10-01-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 04:58 PM  

Rewards Points: 2

Spacer board cuts

You're on the right track since you don't have access to a table saw. I would suggest covering the entire face of the piece to prevent the shoe of the saw from scratching the finish and also to prevent chipping from the saw blade. The tape also makes it easier to see your cut line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 05:06 PM  

Rewards Points: 68

Thanks!

If I were to rent a table saw for the day, is it possible to cut a line that is not parallel to the back of the board? I envision needing to do this on the right side, since my wall is not plum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 05:06 PM  

Rewards Points: 17,890

Really should be cut on a table saw, main reason is the direction the blade turns.
A table saw will cut so any tare outs would be on the bottom side where it's not going to show.
If you used a ciruler saw and flip it over to do the cuts the clamps are going to be in the way, start and stop the cuts and there's going to be a step.
Almost never is this cut going to exactly the same width at the top and bottom, double check that.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:34 PM  
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

For tapered fillers---I use a table saw---first I make a slice of scrap plywood wider than the filler---(leave the fence set for that cut)--them mark the cut,top and bottom on your filler---
place the filler on top of the scrap---
good part on top of the ply--

Align the cut marks to the edge of the ply scrap---

nail the filler to the ply (use a micro pinner or a brad gun)

Then send the assembly through the table saw---
Old 10-05-2014, 10:50 PM  

Rewards Points: 2,452

If thinking about money on the rental, instead, can you buy a decent jig saw? You may have to scribe the filler. Cut close to the line and with little bevel to the rear. Make it easier to fine tune with sander or block plane.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:11 PM  

Rewards Points: 17,890

A jig saw would be the last tool I'd be using to make a long straight cut with.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:22 AM  
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

My local HD has some well trained staff---a real plumber with a sense of humor --and a sarcastic old electrician---I enjoy shopping in that store---the other stores---not so much--

It all boils down to the store manager.
Advertisement