Help With Bath Tiling Around Window - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Help With Bath Tiling Around Window

Hi everyone ,

I bought this house about a year ago and completely renovated the bathroom. The window was totally drywalled over. There was no black mold when we did the reno, and we've been diligently trying to keep water away from the window. (There's no signs of black mold now that we can tell. If you have any suggestions to make 100% sure there's no mold, please suggest away.)
During the reno, we opened up the drywalled window and had a contractor install a new PVC window. He also installed new tile around the window and on the walls(bath surround). Over the past year, the house has settled and while it was hot outside, the house expanded and ripped some of the caulking. Some grout around the window has become loose and started falling out too. Should we remove the rest of the loose grout and replace with dark caulking? If so, should it be thick or thinly applied? Also, the caulk the contractor used has a grainy texture. Should we search for something smoother? White caulk I've seen has a much smoother appearance.

http://imgur.com/a/3ZQo5#0

Last edited by fuzzbutter; 08-22-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: wrong picture
fuzzbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I could give you a better suggestion if I knew how the window was waterproofed and what sort of backer was used---

Did the tile installer paint on a waterproofing membrane like Hydroban or Red Guard?

Was the window sealed to the waterproofing before the tile was installed?

9 time out of 10--when the grout fails,it's not the grout --the tile is moving.
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,884

I would have frame it in and gotten rid of the window all together, oh well.
Scrape off all the old caulking and use 100% silicone caulking and see what happens.
I agree with Mike, but a little late now to do it right.
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18

I'm not sure how the window was attached. I know the wall had a black felt vapor barrier and a backerboard made for tile. I think it was hardie not sure. I assumed the tiles were moving a little and thought the caulk would solve the problem and allow to adjust if it needs to. We're in Oklahoma so there are very cold winters and very hot summers. A lot of expanding and contracting. The house also isn't on a concrete foundation so I'm sure there is some unavoidable movement.
fuzzbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,884

Got me worryed.
Done right there was no need for a vapor barrier behind the tile board.
Tile board is not water proof.
Water proofing is done on the surface of the tile board before the tile goes on.
Advertisement