Hardboard, Beadboard Or Whatever Board Over Wallpaper - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Hardboard, Beadboard or whatever board over wallpaper

I am re-doing an early 70s bathroom that has the original textured wallpaper. The paper has kind of a shiny base with a raised velvet type design. My idea was rather than going through trying to remove the paper, that I would just cover every square inch in some sort of thin board type material. This would give me a perfectly smooth surface. i would then do sort of a board and batten/wainscoat type thing to about halfway up the wall (the ceilings are 8 ft), paint from there up and top it off with a small crown molding. I have been looking for the material and I am wondering if the brown tempered hardboard would work for this. I know that they make beadboard for this type application, but I would rather have the smooth surface than the beads. I know that I need to use much adhesive and some sort of fasteners, nails screws etc. Any suggestions on the specific materials to use and what would be the correct way to do this are greatly appreciated.
VonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

Anyone?? I've since found out that the wall paper is called 'flock', as in "Why the flock did they put this tacky wallpaper in a bathroom of all places??".

Last edited by VonHess; 09-28-2015 at 03:10 PM.
VonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 105

Well, it's not a look I'd like. I think it would like what it is. An attempt to cover up a bad wall of something. Take the time to strip the wallpaper. Of course you might find they were covering something up with that flocked, heavily textured paper.

And to all those thinking of putting wallpaper up - this is what you have to do to fix out of style and taste wallpaper. Take it off. I've removed so much wallpaper I just want to scream "don't do it!" every time I have a customer walk up to me at the box I work at and for wallpaper.
MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 572

Strip the wall paper.

If you go ahead and cover it you will be better off hanging drywall.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 153

None of the trim is going to be right, and you may have to add extensions to your electrical boxes to keep in code. Same issues as drywalling over, except drywall is cheaper, easier, and you won't have seams showing between panels.

I wouldn't even consider going this route - it's all going to be precision cuts unless you pull all the trim and trim back over the panels.
eandjsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement