Half Walls - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

Half walls

Hello again,

More bathroom work coming up tomorrow. I want to build a half divider wall to seperate the toilet from the door path. Its' only gonna be about 42" tall about 3 foot long. I'm planning on it being made of 2x4, covered with 5/8 drywall, and topped with a granite piece.

Here's my question for those with experience. If I nail or screw this to the floor and into a wall stud, will that be strong enough, or will it end up being wobbly? I have access to the underside, so I could run a 2x4 under there and add screw / nail into a joist for more stability.

What ya'll think?

Thanks,
Timothy
myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by myowneq View Post
Hello again,

More bathroom work coming up tomorrow. I want to build a half divider wall to seperate the toilet from the door path. Its' only gonna be about 42" tall about 3 foot long. I'm planning on it being made of 2x4, covered with 5/8 drywall, and topped with a granite piece.

Here's my question for those with experience. If I nail or screw this to the floor and into a wall stud, will that be strong enough, or will it end up being wobbly? I have access to the underside, so I could run a 2x4 under there and add screw / nail into a joist for more stability.

What ya'll think?

Thanks,
Timothy

I did this at my house to add a little privacy to a neo angle tub I put in. I opened the wall and added some blocking, and added some blocking under the floor. I used screws (which Iwish I had used some screw type lag). On the side that faces the tub, I installed tile that wrapped around the tub. The grout cracked right in the corner. So my best advice would be to lag it to the floor and wall and use some bracing in the wall itself. An alternative would be to install a column that goes straight up to the ceiling at the end of the wall which would limit the lateral movement.
psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

frame the wall 1-1/2 inches shorter the 3 feet and add a 2x4 at the end that goes through the floor as much as you have room for underneath. then add a block between the joists up against the 2x4 thats through the floor and fasten securely. the wall will be solid, more so after the sheetrock is installed. make sure to check the wall for plumb when you screw the drywall on as once its attatched you wont be able to push the wall plumb.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-25-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Busy DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

Danny, what do you mean by 'block?'
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

He means some form of wood placed parallel to the joists under the floor. It's then toenailed into the joists. Then the 2x4 coming through the floor is attached to that and provides additional structural integrity to the half wall.

I thought of the beam going to the ceiling idea, but I don't like it. I just didn't know if I was going overkill or if it was a good idea.

Thanks ya'll.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quick answer: We generally construct secure 1/2 walls by opening up the floor (subfloor) and installing a 4x4 fir post bolted to the nearest floor joist (or add 2x10's - across the joist bay and solidly bolt to them). The 4x4 becomes the end of the wall and the rest of the 2x4 wall framed is then framed-in, to it. Additional 2x10 blocking can be added around the 4x4, and then the floor (subfloor) closed back up.

I noted 2x10's, as these are generally the most common conventional floor framing joists.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,452

Tim,
another thing you can do along with what the others have said, if you have the space, is to build the wall out of 2 x 6's. Screw everything together, tie it into the floor joist below as suggested.
If you want to stick with the 2 x 4's, a piece of 1/2" plywood on both sides under the drywall, glued and screwed, will make it very stiff.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,262

If you can't open up the floor or come from underneath.
A large wide metal L Bracket , had to make my own. did 2' on leg going up the stud, 14" on one going on top of bottom plate, made it 3.25" wide. I was able to screw through the bottom plate and into a floor joist, doubled up the end stud and used 3" screws in to it. You could even use stove bolts or 1/4" carriage head bolts
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
....another thing you can do along with what the others have said, if you have the a piece of 1/2" plywood on both sides under the drywall, glued and screwed, will make it very stiff.
Mike Hawkins
Yes, the install of plywood is a good point as well. We have had to do that to correct work by others and it definitely helps. You can even go thicker: 3/4" plywood on both sides, if space, floor-plan and design - allows it.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #10

The 2x6 half wall is going to take too much space. This wall will between a toilet and door with the door opening toward the toilet. I'm leaning toward the 2x4 planted through the floor as the best option. I still have to cover this with 5/8" drywall so I don't want it too thick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement