Gut Rehab Kitchen Almost Done - Need Island Lighting - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 189

Gut rehab kitchen almost done - need island lighting

My biggest DIY yet, and it has so far been a hell of a learning experience. There are a few things I'd for sure do differently next time (yeah, right, like there's going to be a next time!) but mostly it worked out pretty well. One of the last things I need is some drop down / pendant / whatever lights for over the island. I didn't move the previous box for the ceiling light when I drastically recentered the kitchen so the box is off-center now. No big deal, and I have some ideas how to make it work, but I always enjoy reviewing the creative ideas I see here in the diychatroom. The two-layer soundproof (Sound resistant? ) drywall ceiling is done, so I am not moving any electrical. And I ain't no designer, for damn sure, so I'm sure plenty of you have better ideas than me!

Here's a shot of the island with the off center box-blank above it.

To further clarify, here is a little 3d view (courtesy of the indispensable SketchUp) that shows where the box is, in the ceiling, relative to the island. You can see where I dropped a plumb line from the center of the box in the ceiling.

Got a good idea about how to put in some kind of drop down lighting and leave that box all legally accessible but not looking like a, umm, miscalculation?
Andiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Moving the box is the only option if you want it to be symmetrical.
PolySuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Rob

Rewards Points: 826

Gut rehab kitchen almost done - need island lighting-0515141222.jpg
Gut rehab kitchen almost done - need island lighting-0515141219.jpg

Last edited by Robpo; 05-15-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Ew, shows a complete lack of foresight when planning. Moving an electrical box in your ceiling is simple. I guess they put all that wood up and then were like..."Damn, forgot about the electrical box!"
PolySuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
Rob

Rewards Points: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolySuperman View Post
Ew, shows a complete lack of foresight when planning. Moving an electrical box in your ceiling is simple. I guess they put all that wood up and then were like..."Damn, forgot about the electrical box!"
No my wife wanted the box exactly in the center of the space it was actually planned like that. She wants every thing symmetrical.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolySuperman View Post
Moving the box is the only option if you want it to be symmetrical.
Well that was insightful.

Robpo, your solution is one of the handful that we were thinking about. Of course I'm sure there are many more that we haven't thought of, which is why I like this site. Lots of creative folks here that come up with interesting ways of dealing with less than perfect situations. Not everyone obviously, but lots.

I like the idea of the drop-down wood and drywall "extrusion" that we can use for a pot-hanger too, but the wife doesn't think it will work well. I think it might be fitting, as there is some original coffered ceiling wood elsewhere in this 100 year old two-flat, and it might be cool in the kitchen too. Not sure yet, though, we'll keep looking.
Andiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement