Grout In Shower Wicking Water? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By chandler48
  • 2 Post By SPS-1

Old 12-23-2018, 06:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Grout in Shower Wicking Water?

About 3 years ago we completely tore out the existing shower and put in a base and had the walls tiled. Pretty much ever since then water will leak onto the floor after we shower.

This only happens on the one side and I even tried taping the curtain closed to make sure we weren't the issue. The tile is grouted right to the shower base and I believe it's wicking moisture out and then onto the floor (you can see the discoloration in the grout).

Do I need to cut out this section of grout and replace with caulking? Caulk over it? Cut the entire row of grout from where the last row of tile meets the base and caulk it? Looking for any advice.
goofyman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 06:29 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,556

Re: Grout in Shower Wicking Water?

Check the levelness of the tub base first. If it tilts outward, there is the problem, not the grout. That joint should never have been grouted. You can find exact or close enough tile grout caulk in sanded form from flooring stores or box store. I would remove all the grout at the joint on the base and dry it out thoroughly, replacing it with grout caulk, and allow it to cure completely.
jeffnc and Dave Sal like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
goofyman23 (12-23-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 06:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,158

Joint between tub and wall should have been caulk, not grout. Use grout where there is a flat surface --- i.e floor or wall. Where there is a change in plane (i.e vertical surface meets a horizontal surface) use caulk.

Remove grout against tub and caulk. Put tape on tub and tile before applying caulk, and remove tape immediately after applying and tooling caulk.
jeffnc and Dave Sal like this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
goofyman23 (12-23-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 06:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 18

Makes sense.

I was never too happy with the contractor when he grouted like this however never thought to second guess it at the time.

Thanks!
goofyman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,424

Your metal tub is rusting and the rust will eventually show through. I think you need to drizzle some rust primer or such through the joint first then proceed with tiling.

Use those plastic tub guards at the ends. There are tall guards. Use the included tape to install first then caulk the inner side. It's positioned so the end of it is flush with the tub and drains in. Your tub is probably tilted as noted. Not many tubs that are perfectly square out the factory. If water pools at the corners you have no choice but manually towel the pool out. The tilt should have been checked and the tub installed to drain towards inside. Your tub has a drain which is very good and only reason why you don't have a flood on the floor.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement