'Great Room' Still Desirable? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2015, 12:06 AM   #1
Specialty Electrician

Rewards Points: 6

'Great Room' still desirable?

Looking at the possibility of taking down a load-bearing wall between my living room and kitchen in order to have one big room along with a major kitchen update.

Particulars:
60's tri-level, stick built,
LR is 12x20 and K is 10x20,
LR flooring is red oak hardwood [2"] that I would like to get refinished [if it makes sense] and K flooring is 'Pergo-type' laminate.

Probably going to put sheet vinyl flooring in K but, I am unfamiliar with what types of transitions might work [or if this would even be acceptable].

Also looking at the idea [in the near future] of building an island [with cabinet space] where the wall is currently located.

Before I do this, I just want to know if the concept of one big room is still acceptable or are builders/designers shying away from them? Are home buyers still warm to them?

Would a late-60s tri-level seem odd with a great room? [LOL, I cannot see the forest for the trees.]

In the Puget sound region, approximately how much would I be looking at to have this wall removed? [$5k??]

Thanks,

* any other caveats or, observations are welcome

Last edited by TPring; 02-17-2015 at 12:10 AM.
TPring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,790

If it is load bearing, you need to replace the support it provides. That can drive up the cost. It can get more expensive it you want all of the support hidden in existing walls and ceilings. Some times you have to provide more support below to accommodate new point loads.

Get an Architect/Engineer to work on how you will do it.

Depending on the cost of total removal, you may want to go with openings in the wall to provide the open feeling and new traffic pattern, while keeping most of the load bearing support in place.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
Specialty Electrician

Rewards Points: 6

Yes, good points.

I will have someone else do this and he talked about reinforcing the floor with supports in the crawlspace. And essentially cutting the joists above the sheetrock [where the wall currently is] and hanging them from a glulam in the attic.

Thought about cutting a whole in the wall [for a bar] and may still go that route depending on whether the concept of a 'great room' is still appealing or, if it is now outdated.

Thanks
TPring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement