Granite Countertops - Can You Put Sheetrock On Top Of? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Granite countertops - can you put Sheetrock on top of?

Our countertop is 109" inches across the back wall of our kitchen, with two peninsulas (one on each end). The left peninsula is flush with the front edge of the cabinet while the right peninsula has an overhang. The left peninsula was cut 1/2" too short, leaving a 1/2" gap between the drywall and the granite. Instead of placing the back wall piece of granite parallel to the Sheetrock, they lined it up with the left peninsula which was a half inch too short in the back. They did not line it up parallel to the back wall, instead, they installed it at an angle to the back wall which resulted in the granite hitting the studs on the far right hand side. They cut the Sheetrock on the right hand side and slid the granite underneath the Sheetrock. On the left hand side, there is a half inch gap between the Sheetrock and the granite which our backsplash tiles will fall through. Because of this misalignment, the adjoining piece of granite did not line up at the front edge of the countertop, so, the installers tried to grind it down to cover up this mistake which resulted in a noticeable dip in the front edge at the seam. The studs were checked with a six foot straight edge and all the studs were aligned within 1/16th of an inch. The Sheetrock was there when they installed the granite. We had to remove the Sheetrock to see what was wrong when we started to install the backsplash and realized the countertop was all askew! The installer says they can smooth out the dip in the front by "feathering" it out even. They want to replace the end that they cut too short and told us we can put the Sheetrock on top of the granite on the end that hits the studs instead of behind the granite like it will be on the other end.

Is it okay to put Sheetrock on top of the granite? Should we just start all over on this? Will they be able to "feather" out the dip to look right? What should a reputable installer do?
Dfriloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

Re: Granite countertops - can you put Sheetrock on top of?

Do you have a picture of all of this?

If they are just putting sheet rock on the wall, perpendicular to the granite, I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as they leave a small gap for when things shift.
Dfriloux (07-06-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #3

Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Granite countertops - can you put Sheetrock on top of?-img_0960.jpg   Granite countertops - can you put Sheetrock on top of?-img_0958.jpg   Granite countertops - can you put Sheetrock on top of?-img_0956.jpg   Granite countertops - can you put Sheetrock on top of?-img_0957.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

Wow, interesting. If it looks OK then let I suppose them replace the piece they cut too short.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #5

Well, I'm not sure if it's okay to put sheetrock on top of the countertop. I fear the sheetrock will get wet and cause problems. Is that actually done? Do people put sheetrock on top of the countertop?
Old 07-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,320

You'll have a back splash right? Once installed and caulked, moisture shouldn't be an issue.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark sr For This Useful Post:
Dfriloux (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

Not quite sure this is your issue.... but quite a few granite fabricatoors do not scribe their back of counter granite... and intend to cut the drywall to get the fit they need.

They often deliver it unscribed, and want to cut the drywall... or go ahead and cut the drywall if no one complains.

While it is probably ok, I think it is shabby work... and if they are watched and told different, they will scribe the granite on site....

Your case is a little different, and I think it is ok as long as you have backsplash and caulk it.

Good luck....
Old 07-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,464

You could put that plastic channel on the edge of the drywall. The plastic they use when butting into a window.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #9

Thank you all so much for your replies. One last question, though. What about them sanding down the front of this thing to get that evened out? I've read that the dust can be pretty nasty. Should I insist they take it outside to sand it down?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,266

Are you planning on a drywall back splash?
Nothing good can come from this.
Advertisement

Tags
countertops , granite