Granite Countertop Templating - Best Practices? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 534

Granite countertop templating - Best practices?

Hey Gang,

We have the granite company coming on Friday to template for our kitchen counter tops. My question is do I remove the old countertops or leave them on?

I spoke to the templaters and was told they are now using a new laser template system that makes the process much more accurate, even leaving the existing countertops on. However, their literature says:

We recommend that the subcontractor remove all old countertops prior to template. Should you choose to leave existing countertops in place we are not liable for inconsistent overhangs or gaps. Any cabinet modifications or extra support needed are the responsibility of the subcontractor. Company has the right not to install product on unleveled or improperly supported cabinets.

Installation of new countertops is optimized when walls and cabinets are properly prepared for installation. This includes, but is not limited to structurally sound, level, and square walls and cabinets, lack of which may affect installation and seem fit, or inconsistent coutertop overhang.

Turn around time is 3 to 4 weeks and we can't be without the sink that entire time so I would have to lay the old countertops back on the cabinets and reinstall the old sink.

I'm sweating buckets just thinking about how to get the old ones off as it is u shaped and will require some cutting. And then to hook the plumbing back up has me petrified.

So please share your thoughts.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

leave them on as long as you have level counter now and the edge overhang is even. If not then remove so these issues can be fixed.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,454

Bill,
Why don't you just cut the counterop a few inches on both sides of the sink, leaving enough for it to straddle the sink base. Take the rest off and throw it away. You could use a jigsaw if you are carefull and not cut the cabinet fronts. I would think you could even leave the small piece with the sink in place if they are templating with a laser. Worse comes to worse, disconnect the supply lines and tailpiece and lift it off.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Bill,
Why don't you just cut the counterop a few inches on both sides of the sink, leaving enough for it to straddle the sink base. Take the rest off and throw it away. You could use a jigsaw if you are carefull and not cut the cabinet fronts. I would think you could even leave the small piece with the sink in place if they are templating with a laser. Worse comes to worse, disconnect the supply lines and tailpiece and lift it off.
Mike Hawkins
why do you think it needs to be removed? 3 weeks with no counters... you must not cook!
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Newbie Bill

If I can cut the counters without too much carnage, I can just lay them back on the cabinets until the granite is installed.

My biggest issue with cutting the counters is I have the attached back splash (similar to what is in the photo).

What kind of saw can I use to cut the back splash without taking the wall with it or do I cut the backsplash off the countertop first? And what pray tell would I use to do that?
Attached Thumbnails
Granite countertop templating - Best practices?-custom-20cove.jpg  

Old 04-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
why do you think it needs to be removed? 3 weeks with no counters... you must not cook!
Bob,
Maybe because he stated he didn't want to be without the sink. If he wants to put the countertop back in sections and let them set in place, that would be fine and his choice. And for your information, I do cook!
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

What kind of a fly-by-night countertop company wouldn't deal with these issues for you with the least disruption to your lives?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Newbie Bill

Countertops removed, templating done, and counters and sink reinstalled until granite arrives.

Sorry Bud, but I didn't want to have to pay extra to have the granite guys come in unhook plumbing, remove old countertops, Template, then reinstall old plumbing and countertops. So I did it myself.

Probably completely unnecessary as you said earlier as they could have templated with old countertops on. But I want perfection.

Thanks for you help.

Last edited by drtbk4ever; 04-10-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement