Granite Counter Tops Installation - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 40

Granite counter tops installation

I'm remodeling a small kitchen and would like to install the granite counter tops myself to save money. The counter tops are small (30 sq. ft. total) and it's an easy installation with no seams.

The problem is I can't find any granite fabricators that provide a discount for installing it myself. They usually say installation is only an extra $50 or $100, which basically means they have included the labor charge with the cost of material.

The best quote I've found was $2,000 installed if I do the demo and all plumbing work myself. Is there a way to save significantly by just getting the granite fabricated and doing the installation myself? If so, how do I find fabricators that offer this option? Thanks!
pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

You won't find any fabricators that have any brains that will let the HO install it.What happens a month from now when it cracks from your bad install and you want a refund .
Do you have a laser to shoot it in with Do you have diamond bits to drill out the holes with?Do you have the the equipment to properly lift and place the top with.
When you pay them you are getting a guarantee that it will be done properly ,by experienced tradesman, and you will not have any problems in the future.

Last edited by mako1; 08-19-2015 at 11:28 AM.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

mako1,

I wouldn't want a refund if I cracked it. I would just buy more granite. What am I missing here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointguard View Post
If so, how do I find fabricators that offer this option? Thanks!
You keep calling all the people in your area. If no one will do it. Come up with another plan.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 144

I didn't really make my point .Pros get the price they get for being quick and affeciant and for guaranteeing their service.They have the tools and ability to do the job quick and have the tools to do it.
I don't know of any fabricators that would want their product installed by a HO from fear of them coming back and saying the product was not correct because of their lack of knowledge of installation or damaging the product on installation.
You don't seem to be that person but it happens..
I used to own a custom cabinet shop..I would not allow a HO to do the installations to save mone after a couple issues..They would call and say "this or that does not fit","this is not correct".I would have to close the shop and go to their house and show them it was perfect if fitted or installed correctly .It all costs time and money.
Bottom line is you never know who or what kind of customer your dealing with and you have to cover your bases.We are not self employed in our business to lose money.
We're not Lowes or Home Depot.We can't have a no questions asked return policy on custom work.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Good luck with your quest----

I deal with a couple of granite companies----I doubt if either would want to talk to you.

Like Mako said, the potential hassle of dealing with a complete novice would not be of interest to most shops----

You described this as a very small job--meaning they will not have any PITA money for the likely time spent explaining how to measure---drill out the holes for the faucets---shim and glue and caulk---

I do not think you will end up saving anything substantial if you count your time as being worth your paycheck.
pointguard (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #7

I can definitely understand the reasoning behind fabricators wanting to do their own installations.

I was just hoping that shops existed where you just bring in your own measurements, they cut it, and you take it home. There wouldn't be any refunds (unless they didn't cut it to my measurements), explanations about how to install, or complaints about a bad fit, because I'm the one that measured.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

There are internet granite shops that will fabricate granite and ship it, you do the install. I have never used such a service, it sounds like there is a lot of potential for trouble, but it does exist.

I have purchased two fabricated stone tops from a stone shop, one for my bathroom cabinet, one for a dining room cabinet. In both cases, I brought a scaled drawing to the fabricator, selected the stone, they fabricated the top, I picked it up and installed it. No problems, no issues. When we had our kitchen granite done, I had a fabricator/installer do all the work, too difficult to correctly install the top myself. But I think the same fabricator who built my bathroom and dining room tops would fabricate a kitchen, not sure how they would handle liability for incorrect installation.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
pointguard (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Sorry pointgaurd, but makes little sense to me.

So you find the granite and have them fabricate it, now it's ready. 30 sq. ft. weighs about 540 lbs. Even if it's 2-3 pieces, do you have a way to take it home and not have 10 pieces when you get there? Maybe you have a pick up truck and are willing to build a rack? Then it has to be unloaded etc. How about a sink cut out and installing an under mount sink?

Sure, you can have the fabricator deliver for you, but that makes even less sense. They have to send the truck and at least 2 guys, probably 3, cuz that's what's usually required and they're probably already out to do other installs. The actual installation of 2-3 pieces will take perhaps 30 minutes, as long as there's no sink to mess with. How much can they take off the price under this scenario? Not much.

I just added 2 base cabinets and had a top made for it to match the granite we got 2 years ago. Top is 26.5 x 63" plus the 4" backsplash, 190 lbs. I asked if they would deliver and I would install. Sure they said, same price either way. They were done in 10-15 minutes.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-19-2015), pointguard (08-19-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 178

Have you looked into modular granite or quartz counter tops? We've seen some at a tile shop near where we live (Dunwoody, just north of Atlanta) & they come in 24" (or maybe 30"?) square sizes. They also have counter tops at a store north of us (Roswell) called Floor & Decor, that you can buy and have cut by whomever you choose.
randnday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement