Gap Between Counter And Wall - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip

Old 10-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 64

Gap between counter and wall

I have laminate counters in my kitchen and matching 4" laminate side splash all around. The side splash area around the sink is in really bad shape. Clearly the MDF is not standing up to the water and I'm seeing mold all over the place.

I have removed the side splash with the intention of installing tile backsplash from the counter up to the bottom of the upper cabinets.

After removing the side splash, I now have a good 1/2 inch gap in one area of the kitchen -- about a 3 foot section.

What's the best way of dealing with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Gap between counter and wall-img_6451.jpg   Gap between counter and wall-img_6452.jpg  
lisaabrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Re: Gap between counter and wall

Hi Lisa,

Are you saying that the way those tiles are arranged you'l be too short of the wall and since the counter is short of the wall you're also worried the adhesive and grout will fall into or behind the cabinets?

I can't see how the front will be finished, you got bullnose or sink rail for the front? If those are your basic soft bisque ceramic tiles, you can/should make the joints narrower so that gap is wider to better accommodate a cut tile.

Before you set the tiles you need to place a foam backer rod in the gap to fill the crack. It's my experience that most plastic laminate tops are not fastened well and if you do a push/pull you'll easily see the movement. If so, you need to address that.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 64

Thanks, JazMan. The tiles are just laid on the counter right now, not set up in any way.

Yes, I'm concerned about the tiles slipping down behind the counter when I'm installing, and that there will be a large gap in front of the tiles after they're installed. Given the tiles + mastic, I'm thinking there will be at least another 1/4 gap to the counter.

How does foam backer rod install? Will it be secure enough to set tiles on top of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Hi Lisa,

Are you saying that the way those tiles are arranged you'l be too short of the wall and since the counter is short of the wall you're also worried the adhesive and grout will fall into or behind the cabinets?

I can't see how the front will be finished, you got bullnose or sink rail for the front? If those are your basic soft bisque ceramic tiles, you can/should make the joints narrower so that gap is wider to better accommodate a cut tile.

Before you set the tiles you need to place a foam backer rod in the gap to fill the crack. It's my experience that most plastic laminate tops are not fastened well and if you do a push/pull you'll easily see the movement. If so, you need to address that.

Jaz
lisaabrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Foam backer rod; http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Build...1480/202066515

The backer rod comes in several diameters, get one bigger than the gap for a tight friction fit.

Yes I see the tiles are not glued yet. BTW, what adhesive will you be using? I think the grout joints are too wide and I need to know how you're gonna finish the fronts.

The vertical tiles will rest on the horizontal tiles (with a spacer) and will not fall. You're thinking the install backwards, counter top first, then the backsplash.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 708

Any chance that you can "loosen" or "remove" the countertop so that it can be scribed to the wall and then belt sanded to allow for less gap at the back?

There should be a series of screws underneath the countertop holding the countertop to the cabinets.

Run some masking tape along the wall and then use a pencil (or a Math set compass) to mark the curvature of the wall on to the masking tape. Remove the countertop from its resting place by removing the screws underneath and set it on sawhorses so the back edge can be belt sanded such that the back of the countertop gets shaped to the scribe line. Set the compass to a width so that the remaining gap is sufficient to carry the tile you plan on using and allow for a silicone bead.
123pugsy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement