Front Edge Of Laminate Countertops - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jlhaslip

Old 01-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

Front edge of laminate countertops

I am contemplating changing the laminate on my counters. They are in good shape but I want to do a color change. Right now I have a beveled front edge. There is laminate on the front edge, but the angled portion of the bevel is some weird plastic film looking color stripe. I want to go to a plain squared edge. Is there a way, while leaving the counter in place, to change this front profile?

I was wondering if it could be cut off and a new front wood strip be attached before the new material were to be installed? I pondered filling it in with something as another idea, but cannot figure out how that would work.

Help?

Elizabeth
Ponderous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Front edge of laminate countertops

The front edge is a piece which is added to the material used for the counter top decking.
Some of them are glued on and some of them required a groove to fit into.

Having done kitchen installs for a living, my advise would be to have an entirely new counter top built for this situation. It can be difficult to cover an existing counter top with arborite while the existing is in place and get good results even before the edging issue is figured out.
lenaitch and Nealtw like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 532

I put a piece of oak trim around the cabinets, then ran the router around them. This is on a rental unit and Iíve not had any issues with it. This was put on about 15 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2018, 08:11 AM   #4

My questions is not about the installing of a new front edge face piece, be it wood or laminate. My question is about removing the existing beveled edge portion of the front without doing all new countertops. The top piece of formica stops at the backside of the bevel so I though it could be cut away and a new wood piece screwed and glued before new formica was put on the top and front, switching to a squared face and no beveling.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 944

I agree that you should just do new particleboard. I suppose in theory, if you have good access to the edges you need to cut and can fit a saw everywhere, you would clamp a straight edge to the top and cut the bevel off and add a piece of wood or particleboard and laminate over the whole works. But that's going to be a lot of work with questionable results. Particleboard is fairly cheap. I'd start over.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #6

What I am attempting is a very frugal update of a few kitchen things, and I am on my own here. That being said here is my Plan B:

The beveled portion only of my counter is dark blue from some kind of industrial strength stripe material that was applied during the original install. It is not paint. The rest of the counter is very light and neutral. I am wanting to do a light color to just have that beveled edge blend in. I can sand down to bare wood if that is best and then what would I want to primer and/or paint with so that it would hold up to kitchen life? Again this is just the narrow 3/8" wide beveled portion at the front edge.

Thoughts?
Old 02-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,776

You might try an iron on tape, they come in vinyl many colours and wood of all types.
Just a thought.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement