Fridge Shutoff Behind Drywall. New Fridge. Cut Drywall Or Shut Off House Supply? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Yodaman

Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 104

Fridge shutoff behind drywall. New fridge. Cut drywall or shut off house supply?

I'm fairly sure but not 100% sure where the fridge shutoff is. I had the basement ceiling drywalled years ago and we ended up covering that up. Getting a new fridge this weekend. I could either cut the drywall (hopefully at the right spot), then put a new face plate in (but it would make the ceiling ugly unless I patch it back to fully painted), or shut down the house. I'm inclined to just shut off the feed from the street... What would you do?
Skoorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,374

Re: Fridge shutoff behind drywall. New fridge. Cut drywall or shut off house supply?

Don't you have a whole house shut off inside the house? If not you should.

Secondly, I would prefer to have the cut off for any appliance on the same floor.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #3

Re: Fridge shutoff behind drywall. New fridge. Cut drywall or shut off house supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Don't you have a whole house shut off inside the house? If not you should.

Secondly, I would prefer to have the cut off for any appliance on the same floor.
Sorry--yeah, by street I meant house. I can shot down the whole house in the basement instead of tracking down the fridge shut off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,424

I think the best place for a fridge ice maker shut off is inside an adjoining cabinet. I'd be inclined to find and expose the shut off - what's it doing behind the drywall anyway?
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
I think the best place for a fridge ice maker shut off is inside an adjoining cabinet. I'd be inclined to find and expose the shut off - what's it doing behind the drywall anyway?
It was in the basement ceiling. Had basement done with drywall ceiling. Told guy to leave a small access port. Instead he left a 8" circle. 5-6 years ago. I just patched it up to look great and now it does, but now it's inaccessible hehe
Old 12-08-2017, 06:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoorb View Post
It was in the basement ceiling. Had basement done with drywall ceiling. Told guy to leave a small access port. Instead he left a 8" circle. 5-6 years ago. I just patched it up to look great and now it does, but now it's inaccessible hehe

Why not cut in an access door on the ceiling for now and for the future. They make them as small as 8"x8'....check home depot

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,748

Shut off the water and cut the pipe and add a new valve in the next cupboard.
mark sr likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Shut off the water and cut the pipe and add a new valve in the next cupboard.

Good idea especially if you have a large built in fridge. Modest sized fridges are usually on wheels and can be rolled fwd and back easily. In these situations it is probably easier to just put the shut off on the wall behind it.

In either case the shut should be on the same floor as the appliance. And most definitely not hidden in a ceiling. This is just a leak waiting to happen. You can fix it then or do it now.
Nealtw likes this.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,660

Cut off in adjacent cabinet makes sense, but you could install a refrigerator box using the same line at the point where it exits for the refrigerator in the wall. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-I2...9130/202078128
Old 12-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #10
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,424

I like them in a cabinet because if there is a leak it's a lot easier to shut it off rather than wrestle the fridge out from the wall. While most have wheels and should be able to be easily pulled out - that never seems to happen when you up the ante.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement