Fridge Location Issue... - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Lots of Questions
 
Cow 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Fridge Location Issue...


I am in the middle of a kitchen renovation in my first home. I finished the floors, ordered the cabinets, and just received my appliances. The fridge is going to go where it is pictured here. The problem I'm facing, and didn't account for, is that the right fridge door can hit the corner of the door trim to the right of the fridge, if the person opening it flings it open. I, of course, would be careful of this, but I can picture my friends going to throw beer in there and not thinking twice about opening the door and letting it go, rather than stopping it before it hits the trim corner.


(Pardon how gross the walls are, I haven't gotten to painting them yet).

I'm afraid this is going to scratch my investment of my new appliances! Has anyone else had this same issue? I'm debating what to do, perhaps a door stop like you put on the floor on bedroom doors. Or perhaps some sort of "padding" to go on the corner of the door trim? This will probably look pretty awkward.
Cow 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652
Default


I would not have the fridge next to the stove. Can you post a drawing of the room layout, and what is stopping you from removing that wall to the right of the fridge? How large is this room, along with the dining and other rooms next to it? A lot of times, you tend to enlarge the Kitchen space and make it more open with the rest of the house these days.



gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Lots of Questions
 
Cow 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 10
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I would not have the fridge next to the stove. Can you post a drawing of the room layout, and what is stopping you from removing that wall to the right of the fridge? How large is this room, along with the dining and other rooms next to it? A lot of times, you tend to enlarge the Kitchen space and make it more open with the rest of the house these days.
There is a hallway on the other side of the wall, so I can not remove it. There will actually be an 18" cabinet between the fridge and stove, i'm just waiting for delivery on them.

I will try and get a drawing of the room layout. I had a CAD visual from the cabinet maker but I'm not sure where I placed it at the moment.
Cow 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: zentral Iowa
Posts: 1,458
Rewards Points: 1,002
Default


cut the wall back a bit or move the reefer forward.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652
Default


You may have no choice but to shift the room around. I would not though have that small of a cabinet between the fridge & stove. Really need a layout with measurements of the room. What I am getting at, there is a right way and a wrong way of a work triangle, and taking counter space from the stove area is going to be a problem in the long term.



gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: zentral Iowa
Posts: 1,458
Rewards Points: 1,002
Default


I think 18" is maybe over a 12" minimum to have to the side of the stove. Anyway, it is a free country and people can do what they must. You can have a tray cabinet under that 18" counterspace to store your trays vertically.

18" is plenty to lay down a spatula or single plate, etc. Hope he has the same on the other side.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ventura, CA & Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 40
Rewards Points: 25
Default


Definitely have a cabinet between fridge & stove, but with a decent stove (decently insulated) 15 or 18 inches is pretty OK. But the problem with the fridge is classic, a lot of people have it with the double door fridges of today. Used to be you'd just reverse the hinging.
My solution, put a pantry cabinet twixt it and that wall. Handy cabinet and only 24 inches deep. Easy for the troubled door to open.
bareshiyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Lots of Questions
 
Cow 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 10
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
I think 18" is maybe over a 12" minimum to have to the side of the stove. Anyway, it is a free country and people can do what they must. You can have a tray cabinet under that 18" counterspace to store your trays vertically.

18" is plenty to lay down a spatula or single plate, etc. Hope he has the same on the other side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareshiyth View Post
Definitely have a cabinet between fridge & stove, but with a decent stove (decently insulated) 15 or 18 inches is pretty OK. But the problem with the fridge is classic, a lot of people have it with the double door fridges of today. Used to be you'd just reverse the hinging.
My solution, put a pantry cabinet twixt it and that wall. Handy cabinet and only 24 inches deep. Easy for the troubled door to open.
There is indeed a cabinet between the stove and fridge, an 18" one that I just installed. Pic below of set up.

bareshiyth, I'm not sure what you mean by "put a pantry cabinet twixt it and that wall"? Can you elaborate?

Here is an updated picture with the cabinets in. I had written GE and they told me they do not offer any kind of bracket that can help me with this problem. Looks like I may need to put a plastic "stop" for it to hit on the trim...which will certainly be an eye soar.

Cow 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652
Default


Clear plastic bumpers are used all of the time, and after a while you do not notice them. In our bath, we have a couple of stick on clear bumpers to stop the door at that side from hitting the door trim. After a while (a week) I forgot that they are even there, due to I do not try to look for them.



gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
Lots of Questions
 
Cow 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 10
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Clear plastic bumpers are used all of the time, and after a while you do not notice them. In our bath, we have a couple of stick on clear bumpers to stop the door at that side from hitting the door trim. After a while (a week) I forgot that they are even there, due to I do not try to look for them.
Any you'd recommend? Have you found some that are pretty discreet?

I'm pretty bummed I have to use them. I wish I had thought of this issue before planning the kitche, but hindsight's 20/20.
Cow 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652
Default


We just picked up a set at Lowe's, that have worked really good. A year later they have still not fallen off of the molding, even though it is a bathroom. Pretty strong glue on them.



gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Lots of Questions
 
Cow 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 10
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
We just picked up a set at Lowe's, that have worked really good. A year later they have still not fallen off of the molding, even though it is a bathroom. Pretty strong glue on them.
Ok, thanks. I'm on my way to Lowe's now to look at shower faucets, I'll see if I can find these while I'm there. What department/area were they in?
Cow 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652
Default


Where the tape is.



gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ventura, CA & Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 40
Rewards Points: 25
Default


Never mind my mention of a pantry (a floor to cieling cabinet). Seeing the photo I see your limitations and constraints tho I am curious as to what that is at the right edge ... another place you could put the fridge?
But looking at your system, if that is where the fridge must go, I'd swap that 18" for a 15" and leave the 3" available for the fridge to wall space thus allowing the door some room to open (at least get past 90 degrees and thereby at least allowing the drawers to pull out). If you don't need all 3", extend the counter an inch past the 15" cab, or leave some more room for the stove opening (better for hot ovens).
However, given what you now have, the bumper idea is OK to avoid damaging wall/molding & fridge, but check out a floor mounted doorstop - looks like a 3 or 4 inch upside down L with a rubber stop.
bareshiyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Lots of Questions
 
Cow 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 22
Rewards Points: 10
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by bareshiyth View Post
Never mind my mention of a pantry (a floor to cieling cabinet). Seeing the photo I see your limitations and constraints tho I am curious as to what that is at the right edge ... another place you could put the fridge?
But looking at your system, if that is where the fridge must go, I'd swap that 18" for a 15" and leave the 3" available for the fridge to wall space thus allowing the door some room to open (at least get past 90 degrees and thereby at least allowing the drawers to pull out). If you don't need all 3", extend the counter an inch past the 15" cab, or leave some more room for the stove opening (better for hot ovens).
However, given what you now have, the bumper idea is OK to avoid damaging wall/molding & fridge, but check out a floor mounted doorstop - looks like a 3 or 4 inch upside down L with a rubber stop.
There is another section on the right with three cabinets, I think that's what you are referring to. It might have been an okay spot for the fridge, but the amount the fridge might have stuck out into the room might have been a problem. Also, it would have been a 180 degree turn from the sink when cooking, so both spots have their problems.

The 18" cabinet still lets me open the door 90 degrees, fortunately. It actually can almost open the full way where it would stop on its own. The L floor brackets you mention sound like a good idea. Can I get those at the big box stores?
Cow 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kenmore fridge stops cooling with frost in freezer donnoit Appliances 3 09-20-2010 07:59 AM
HELP - with my breaker box. Interesting issue. LordX Electrical 75 02-23-2009 03:14 PM
Kenmore fridge - Ice Maker issue mustangcobra44 Appliances 11 01-28-2009 09:05 AM
Kenmore fridge not cooling, freezer ok bobvanhalder HVAC 7 10-22-2008 10:52 PM
Fridge compressor convert to air compressor? jogr Appliances 1 04-24-2008 01:10 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts