Formica Countertop Seam Advice - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Yodaman

Old 05-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
adam

Rewards Points: 140

Formica Countertop Seam Advice

Hi,

I going to replace an L-Shaped formica countertop where one side is 156 inches (13 feet). From what I can gather, I'm under the impression that it will need to be seamed.

In some cases, a corner is seamed at a 45 degree angle, but that can't be done because the longest piece of laminate seam or laminate slab that I can find is 12 feet. Therefore one sheet/slab cannot cannot reach the corner from the left end.

I realize I can seam it twice: once at the sink and then another 45 degree seam at the corner, but perhaps there's another option?

I'm looking for advice on how to seam it. A drawing is below. Can any countertop gurus out there offer some advice?

Thanks,
Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Formica Countertop Seam Advice-countertop.jpg  
adamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 944

Re: Formica Countertop Seam Advice

How far to the sink? Seems like you could do it with one seam at the sink if you had a 60" x 144".
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
adam

Thanks Marson.

It's about 78 inches to the center of the sink to the corner. So the sink is centered.

Does anyone know if Lowe's or Home Depot can pre-fabricate those two pieces including the right side L shape?

Last edited by adamz; 05-27-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 944

The box stores should be able to get you post formed tops. You would probably be limited to under 12', and would need a miter in the corner. The come in pieces and you have to bolt the miter together on site. Not a big deal. Not a hundred percent sure on the 12'---I've never seen it done but perhaps it's available. Hopefully someone will chime in.

If you are talking about having someone build it out of sheet laminate, then you should go to a kitchen supplier (actually in either case I would go to a "real" kitchen place.) If you do it yourself, you could get a 60 x 96 and a 30 x 96 and put the seam by the sink.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,368

Are you looking to build from scratch the whole counter top using Formica sheets glued to your own base?

Or plan to to use the prefab counter tops in stock at the big box?

In either case I would try to avoid putting a seam with in the sink. It would be the most inconspicuous, but with all the water that gets splashed around the sink it could lead to problems.
BigJim and lenaitch like this.

Last edited by Yodaman; 05-27-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #6
adam

Hi Yodaman.

I prefer to use prefab, but would like a custom pre-fabbed to fit the L corner with no seam in the corner. I would consider doing it myself if I have trouble finding a custom pre-fab.

I've researched the DIY version and know how to do the corner with no seam. Simply purchase an extra wide sheet and remove the excess.

Just had a thought. If i use a sink with a front apron, there could be one seam in the rear of the sink, or zero seams if a sink is available that's counter depth. Not sure where to get a counter depth sink though.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #7
adam

Something like the sink below would be ideal, but with 2 bowls. Anyone know where to purchase one?

Old 05-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,796

You can have a counter top made to your specifications at Home Depot or Lowe's. You can have it made with the sink hole cut or with out. It will cost a lot more than you purchasing two counters tops but a lot less than trying to build your own counter top and then covering with laminate (Formica). Covering something with laminate requires certain tools and a certain amount of experience. Laminate work is a trade that has almost disappeared.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
Covering something with laminate requires certain tools and a certain amount of experience. Laminate work is a trade that has almost disappeared.
Man I hate to hear that, I have a lot of laminate tools I need to sell. LOL I will never use my seaming router again.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,368

Should be able to purchase a sink like that from any Kit. and bath dealer.

I have a similar layout and put the seam about 12'' off the inside corner.
So I have no mitered corner, just a butt joint along one side

Last edited by Yodaman; 05-28-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement