Floor Support For A Walk In Shower - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Floor Support for a Walk in Shower

Hey All,

Thank you in advance for the responses:

I have installed a shower pan using concrete, membrane concrete. It is a 3'x8' walk in shower. To get the proper leveling I used equivalent to 3" of concrete base (x11 60lb) bags or 660 lbs of concrete. The floor joist are 2"x8" and (guessing) 16' long and center to center are 16" apart. The shower is up against a load bearing wall. The concrete is set on 3/4" plywood.

I can access the floor from below but from what I remember, there were a couple water pipes going through the joist.

My question, do I need additional support along the joist? I did some searching but could not find a straight answer so I figured I would post the question to the forum.
chrs6733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,698

Hate to say it, but isn't it a bit late to think about it now? 2x8s seem small for that load, I would expect 2x10s there anyway. But I suppose it depends on local building codes. Being next to the load bearing wall probably helps, since that wall must be properly supported from below. You could sister in another couple joists. The other thing that jumps out at me is the 3/4" plywood subfloor. I would have liked to have started with 1/2" on top of that for 1 1/4" total. Nothing you can do about that now though.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 469

You need to double up all your joist, 2x8x16 will not span 16 feet at 16 inch on center no matter what species of lumber they are. Or you need to put a support beam under them to carry the load
Jnaas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs6733 View Post
Hey All,

Thank you in advance for the responses:

I have installed a shower pan using concrete, membrane concrete. It is a 3'x8' walk in shower. To get the proper leveling I used equivalent to 3" of concrete base (x11 60lb) bags or 660 lbs of concrete. The floor joist are 2"x8" and (guessing) 16' long and center to center are 16" apart. The shower is up against a load bearing wall. The concrete is set on 3/4" plywood.

I can access the floor from below but from what I remember, there were a couple water pipes going through the joist.

My question, do I need additional support along the joist? I did some searching but could not find a straight answer so I figured I would post the question to the forum.
If your joists (2x8's) are in fact spanning sixteen feet unsupported by any other means you are headed for some heart ache down the road. Those joists now need to be "beefed up". The sooner the better.

jnaas2 is correct.
Advertisement

Tags
bathroom , floor , floor joist , shower , support