Floor Loading For Clawfoot Tub 2nd Floor - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 02-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 525

Floor Loading for Clawfoot Tub 2nd Floor

We're going to remodel the 2nd story bath in our 1979-built house. That bathroom currently has a cheapie one piece fiberglass tub, the kind that come with "walls" that fit into the a drywall space. Yuk.

Our plan is to replace it with a smallish "claw foot" style tub, probably one that can be acquired at either Lowe's or Home Depot. Should I be worried that the floor construction may not be robust enough for it? What should I look for after removing the fiberglass thingy?
Curmudgeon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,640

Re: Floor Loading for Clawfoot Tub 2nd Floor

What is your subfloor constructed of and what type support is afforded? Joist size and subfloor thickness. What type flooring will you be installing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 525

Yea, I don't know the answers to all those questions yet, as I have not done any demo. Currently there is ceramic tile on the floor, and we will probably replace it with ceramic tile. The entire house, from other remodeling we have done, appears to have subfloor of 1/2" plywood and 3/4" MDF. There is a limited view of the underside of the tub from an adjacent attic space, and it looks like the MDF was omitted under the tub (this would explain why the tub looks like it was made for a dwarf), and it rests on the 1/2 inch plywood.

So the good news is in terms of floor level matching, I have 1 1/4" to work with. But I won't know about joists size and spacing until I do the demo.
Curmudgeon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,640

Hopefully it wasn't MDF, but particle board, which still is not a good subfloor product. MDF, likewise will crush under pressure. Your subfloor should be of 3/4" plywood or subfloor OSB and 1/2" plywood or OSB. The joist spacing and unsupported span of those joists will be critical to your installation of ceramic tile.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,466

Ask the seller the tub weight / water capacity and go from their on floor requirements.

We have a 1909 Kohler that weighs in the 400 lb. class. With added weight of water and person I wouldn't put on anything but concrete.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement