In Floor Heating - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

In Floor Heating

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board, but have been renovating my home off and on for the last four years. Currently, I'm working on the master bathroom. It's going in stages as we're saving the money for it.

One of the things I'm planning is in floor heating. As the bathtub is going to be an expensive option down the road, can I install "sections" of the in floor heating as I go, and wire them all into the same thermostat? Or does the in floor heating have to be one continouis loop?

I appreciate any help you can throw my way.

Thanks,
Timothy
myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

What type of floor heating? Electric or hot water?
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #3

Electric.

I shoulda thought to put that up there. Sorry bout that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

I think you need to figure out the order of things----electric heat mat or wires need to be protected by tile right away---

Tile should be installed after the tub --as the tile does not go under the tub--but butts up to the skirt.

Tell us more about the project----perhaps we can save you the grief of doing things out of sequence and ending up with a goofy job---Mike---
Old 12-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #5

Ok, well, it's a double wide mobile home that's no longer mobile. When I bought the place, the master "closet" was a 4'x4' space. Wife's stuff didn't even fit completely in there. I've since added a full sized closet and the old closet is junk storage now. As I've said, we're spending the money as we save for it. So the projects need to leave me with a functional bathroom at the end of the stage. (says the project manager / wife)

I've already done the shower. It was a fiberglass base & plastic (I think) surround placed on the plywood with thinset for leveling & glueing. The wall tile is already done except the last few inches to the floor to account for flooring substrate.

The toilet is directly behind the bathroom door and is being replaced, rotated, and shifted a few inches for side clearance. A short half wall will be installed to seperate the toilet and the door. I plan on laying concrete board over the plywood then setting my toilet flange.

After that, the vanity and old shower will be removed as will the bathroom / closet wall. This opens the space for the new vanity with double sinks. At that point, things will probably stop for a while as the tub she wants is expensive. Not to mention all the faucet trim & valves for the sinks, and the countertop.

Cement board will be laid as the projects go. Tile will go under the toilet only, and but up against all other objects. All open space will be heated by in floor heaters.

I hope I've accurately got my plan down on paper. It's a step by step project that's rough in my head till it's time to do the step. I'm thinking of doing the heating wires since it's slightly cheaper than a mat. I've got tons of time as I work two weeks straight, then two weeks off.

So can I install my in floor heating in sections and hook them up to the same thermostat? Or is that not going to work?

Thanks,
Timothy
Old 12-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Retired Moderator

We have a couple of members that have a good working knowledge of the heating coils---so I will have to let that answer go to one of them---I suggest as a start--that you call the technical help line of the company that makes your heating coils--

It sounds like you have a plan in mind--but it is best to get the basics here--then talk to the manufacturer for the final answer.---Mike---
Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Usually you purchase the mat for the full size of the space you are looking to heat, and the manufacturer sends you the correct amount, sometimes even precut (depends on the manufacturer). The wire is carefully sized to have the right amount of resistance per foot. Some manufacturers have an option for multiple panels that are independently connected to the thermostat, but not all.

When I installed my heating wire for the kitchen, the manufacturer I used only sold full size sheets, it was basically one thermostat, one mat, and it was not warrantied to connect two mats in series, so you had to do the whole job at once.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #8

So here's what I'm getting from all this so far. Wiring several mats in series is doable but likely not recommended. Any cutting or trimming of the heater wire is an absolute no no and screws up the wire. It looks like, if I go with the mat, I better have my stuff planned out really good and do the floor all at once. If I go with the wire, then I can do a bit at a time as long as I take care of the wire and don't mess it up. But it is a little more work to it.

Hmm... Got some thinking to do.

Thanks Mike & Daniel. I appreciate ya'lls help.

Timothy
Old 12-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

There is no fundamental difference between wire and mat. The only difference is that the mat is easier to install in terms of tacking down the material, and the wire does not move around. I installed mats, as I stated, the manufacturer of my mats ABSOLUTELY prohibited connecting two mats together in series due to warranty issues associated with wire resistance and the actual connection. My manufacturer sold either mat or wire, regardless you CANNOT connect two wires runs or two mats together, else you void the warranty. If you don't care about the warranty, and you have the electrical knowledge to understand the implications of connecting two different pieces of (mat, wire) together, then I suppose you could do it. As I said, the simplest, best approach in my opinion is to do the entire job at once using a single (mat, wire run) connected to a single thermostat.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Jheeezh! Another THREAD GONE WILD.

Quote:
can I install "sections" of the in floor heating as I go,
The answer is NO. It is neither cost effective or practical. I don't know what all these others have said because that's just too much to read to arrive at the same answer. You would spend way more money doing that way even if it could be done and it doesn't sound to me like you are dripping with gold nuggets, so NO.
Advertisement