Floating/freestanding Breakfast Counter In Front Of Window - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:46 PM  

Rewards Points: 78

floating/freestanding breakfast counter in front of window

New kitchen, without a huge amount of space for an eat-in area. Thought a bar spanning the window would be very cool, not eat up a huge amount of walking space, provide a nice place for computing, coffee, etc.

Distance between walls is 131 inches. Figured it would be good design-wise to span the whole space, just come to the depth of the drywall.
Pretty sure my friends could help me with making a plywood template, attaching to the studs - perhaps a central support leg would be well advised?
Read that some people like to make the plywood template and then have sheet metal fabricator cover with stainless steel.
Any suggestions, diy tips, thoughts, products, recommendations would be most appreciated. A pro job isn't in the budget.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 09:47 PM  

=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 09:24 AM  

Rewards Points: 7,202

So if you mount a 2x4 along each of the short walls, horizontally, at your 36" height, they would hold quite a bit of weight. And a 2x4 along the long back-wall too. To get it rigid along that 131" length, I think you would be wise to use steel, either something like a couple of lengths of 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 steel angle, painted. Maybe cover the front angle with laminate. I would think this thing would have to match the other kitchen counters. What material is the existing counters?

Sure, a center leg would make this a lot easier, but that would take all the challenge out of the project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2015, 05:20 PM  

tyvm - the cabinets are white painted wood. I kind of wouldn't mind stainless for the bar, since that would "match" the appliances, and I wouldn't have to worry about dinging a painted white surface.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:55 PM  

Rewards Points: 7,202

Stainless tube or angle is readily available from industrial suppliers or places like Metals Supermarket. It will be expensive and much harder to drill or cut. And it won't be shiny like your appliances, it will be dull and ugly --- you would have to do some research on how to buff it out.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:03 PM  

Rewards Points: 254

Instead of blocking part of that window, and building something that would look bad from the outside, why not build a bar on the right wall.

Something like this, only however you want to build it.

Note: The top is Silstone. My sweetie loves it.

BTW, that is 10 foot, three inches in length.
Attached Thumbnails
floating/freestanding breakfast counter in front of window-mth_2916.jpg   floating/freestanding breakfast counter in front of window-mth_2909.jpg   floating/freestanding breakfast counter in front of window-mth_2887.jpg   floating/freestanding breakfast counter in front of window-mth_2886.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
mpmp2121 (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 02:11 PM  

Re: floating/freestanding breakfast counter in front of window

So...three years later...other projects took priority and I'm back to this one.
MT Stringer's advice is solid on placement, and I have french doors going in where the windows are in the first pics. I don't feel like having more cabinetry and feel like it wouldn't match the old solid wood stuff I have anyway.
I think I'm going to aim for a breakfast bar and stools along the wall.
Shelving above, depending on what's behind the bulkhead (hoping to find out shortly).
Any suggestions on counter material? I feel like finding granite to match mine is an exercise in futility. Stainless bar? Maybe bring some wood tones for that and the shelves into the room?
[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement