Flipping Homes: RTA Cabs Or BigBox Stores - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Flipping homes: RTA cabs or BigBox stores

I've been flipping homes and been seeing a lot of people on HGTV use RTA cabinets. I've been using in stock cabinets at menards and lowes. My main goal is to have style, low to mid quality cabinets at the lowest price possible.

what are the pros and cons of each?
jclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclee View Post
I've been flipping homes and been seeing a lot of people on HGTV use RTA cabinets. ... What are the pros and cons of each?
The main issue is how much you value your time...
what OTHER tasks you could be doing instead.

The other factor is the quality vs cost. A comparably priced set up (eg: 20LF layout) of prefabs (like KK) is far better than RTA. What have you found?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

we got rta cabinets for less than half of big box store prices and this was for all plywood and solid wood cabinets.
took about 20 mins a cabinet to assemble. took me a little longer because i clamped and glued them together.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
we got rta cabinets for less than half of big box store prices and this was for all plywood and solid wood cabinets.
took about 20 mins a cabinet to assemble. took me a little longer because i clamped and glued them together.
Are you comparing RTA to the "in-stock" big box store prices. in stocks are much cheaper than the cheapest semi-custom or lowest end custom big box store cabinets
jclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclee View Post
Are you comparing RTA to the "in-stock" big box store prices.
Nope.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

this was for all plywood boxes and solid wood fronts and doors.

particle board cabinets were 6800.00
at lowes
all plywood boxes upgrade was 8200.00
at lowes.

place i got the cabinets with all plywood boxes was 3400.00 and they had a 40% off sale that week so they were only 2158.00 after the discount.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
this was for all plywood boxes and solid wood fronts and doors.

particle board cabinets were 6800.00
at lowes
all plywood boxes upgrade was 8200.00
at lowes.

place i got the cabinets with all plywood boxes was 3400.00 and they had a 40% off sale that week so they were only 2158.00 after the discount.
thats great. but. how long have you had them, and how are they holding up ? pics ?
Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,174

Having recently done a house with cabinets in many places I'd definitely encourage you to work with a local cabinet supplier and NOT use the crap sold at the box stores. The units on the shelves are junk. Cheap boxes, even cheaper hardware for slides and hinges. Really, embarrassingly bad.

That and their prices on their semi-custom stuff was often HIGHER than better cabinets elsewhere.

If you're going to be doing a number of these over time you might be able to find a supplier willing to give you better pricing.

Start with finding out what brands of semi-custom stuff are available in your area. Omega is one supplier that covers a many locations and they make a pretty decent mid-range cabinet line. Then see what dealers the manufacturer recommends on their website. I was really surprised when I found the best pricing on some cabinets was through a local plumbing supply place. A good 8% less than everyone else nearby.

I guess it depends on your conscience and the level of attention your potential customers will have when looking at the cabinets. If they care about anything it's usually the cabinets. So spending a little more here has got to be likely to have some payback. Doesn't have to be full 3/4" plywood boxes, but I'd want to at least step up to 1/2" ply box sides not just MDF-like stuff.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement