Fixing A Crack/peel On The Edge Of A Laminate Countertop - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 07-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Fixing a crack/peel on the edge of a laminate countertop

We recently become executors for a relative's estate and have to deal with the condo they lived in. We're going to be renting it. The place is actually in very good shape except for a few little things here and there.

The kitchen laminate countertop is pretty good except for one irksome spot that is cracked and pulling away from the wood. Maybe about six inches in total.

Looking at the image is there anyway to relatively easily fix this? Our finances really don't allow for a complete countertop replacement. We'll probably paint over the finished product using the faux granite sponge technique.

Thanks for any tips.

Fixing a crack/peel on the edge of a laminate countertop-img_20180708_182354354.jpg
Woody416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,610

Re: Fixing a crack/peel on the edge of a laminate countertop

A hot iron can reactivate the glue. Just put paper between the surface and the iron.
Have small block of wood handy when you remove the iron rub the surface with the block to help it stick and cool off.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #3

I can give that technique a try...not completely sure if the wood below has a small crack. If I can get it to reaffix, what would product I use to fill in the cracks at each end?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody416 View Post
I can give that technique a try...not completely sure if the wood below has a small crack. If I can get it to reaffix, what would product I use to fill in the cracks at each end?

Thanks.
Where the laminate has ripped it will not stick down so you will likely need a small grinder to remove the loose stuff and fill that with something like bondo.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #5

I wasn't able o really get underneath when I took the photo the first time because my back was acting up. I tried the iron method just now but it appeared the underlying wood was causing an issue. I was able to get under and the wood where this damaged strip is has a crack. Assuming I could do something with glue and a clamp, but just wondering how I successfully get enough glue up into the crack.

Fixing a crack/peel on the edge of a laminate countertop-img_20180709_162027447.jpg
Old 07-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
I wasn't able o really get underneath when I took the photo the first time because my back was acting up. I tried the iron method just now but it appeared the underlying wood was causing an issue. I was able to get under and the wood where this damaged strip is has a crack. Assuming I could do something with glue and a clamp, but just wondering how I successfully get enough glue up into the crack.

Attachment 526709
Yeah that would be different problem. You should consider replacing the counter because a renter will not be as gentle as you would be after the patch job.
You might try to squeeze some yellow wood glue in the there and clamp it for an hour. I would back that by gluing a thin plywood strip on the bottom if it a flat surface.
As that is particle board, just one chunk of sawdust in the wrong place and it won't go back in place.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,406

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 07-11-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #8

I'll give the glue a chance. Installing a counter is beyond my skill set and time available from work and getting a contractor is probably beyond our finances. :-(

Thanks for your advice.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
retired framer

Quote:
I'll give the glue a chance. Installing a counter is beyond my skill set and time available from work and getting a contractor is probably beyond our finances. :-(

Thanks for your advice.
Actually that stuff can be fairly DIY friendly but we can't see all you would be dealing with.

Take some measurements and a quick drawing and talk to Home Depot about counter only before you count it out. Talk is cheap.

Last edited by Nealtw; 07-09-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #10

Just thought I'd toss the measurements here as well. L-shaped counter. 24 inches deep (including backsplash) 8.25 feet on the long part of the L, with the stub being about 35.25 inches.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #11
retired framer

Between $200 and $300 for material, I haven't dealt with HD but we have places that will finish the ends and the corner is just bolt together. Some times you have to sand the back to fit to lumps in the wall and screw it from below and re install the sink.
Woody416 likes this.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #12

Thanks. Well since I need get glue and a clamp anyway from HD, I may as well see what's what while I'm there. I had left a request for a quote on Homestars last night. 5:26 pm here and nothing yet, so I guess all the contractors are busy with work in the summer.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 334

Quote:
... We'll probably paint over the finished product using the faux granite sponge technique
If you are going to do this anyway, I would rip that piece off, bondo, sand, and paint.
Nealtw and Woody416 like this.
Tymbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #14

I thought that might be possibility. Fill the hell out of the spot and if it gets close to the top edge, sand it to the rounded shape.

Can't seem to find Bondo on homedepot.ca.

Looked on Canadiantire.ca and the only thin I could find was fibreglass filler for cars. (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/bondo.html) Is that what I'm looking for, or is there a type of product I should be looking for as opposed to a brand name.

Thanks to you all for the fast replies! Such a helpful forum.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #15
Home Repairer

Rewards Points: 468

It appears that the laminate is still adhered to the wood and the break is a 1/4" or so into the particle board. I would wedge a knife into the crack and use a flux brush to try to smear wood glue into the crack. After that I would use a block of wood and several clamps to pull the area as tight as possible back into position. Let it set overnight. Then you can deal with the aesthetics after you have secured the area. Forget bondo and trying to blend. Never going to look like the original countertop.
Mike Milam and Woody416 like this.
czizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kitchen countertops , laminate repair