First-time Caulker Needs Guidance - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 2 Post By jeffnc

Old 03-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

first-time caulker needs guidance

I'm a first-time homeowner and I am going to caulk our shower floor, which is moldy.

My plan is to scrape it, clean it, and caulk it, but I am wondering if there is anything else I need to know about doing this job, especially given the amount of mold and mildew you can see here. Is there a danger that the mold could grow if some of it remains behind the new caulk? Should I be worried about anything else?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Attached Thumbnails
first-time caulker needs guidance-img_0124.jpg  
JamesRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,016

Re: first-time caulker needs guidance

Yes , mold can grow under there, if any is left on the wood.

Dig and scrape very well.

Clean well with a Choncrobium ( spelling may be wrong), mold cleaner from a BOX store.

Then use mold resistant caulk, and get it very smooth, use a damp finger to smooth it out.

Smoothing makes it easier to clean, and don't give the new mold a place to stick into.

ED
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
JamesRichardson (03-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 01:54 AM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 12,232

This what most of us do

And this guy tells us what we do is all wrong.

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,532

OK, well that is an interesting video Neal posted (second one), but there are some problems with it as well.

First of all, the narrator is correct that forming those lips or edges is bad. However, this is a problem with the way he taped and formed the joint. Admittedly a lot of people do this when they tape - I've done it by mistake and then had to correct it. The tape should either be wider, or you should be pushing tighter with your finger.

His comment about bacteria on your finger is just nonsense. Bacteria can't cause mold because mold is a fungus. There are mold spores in the air all around us. Use an antimicrobial caulk.

I agree with him that the water/detergent is a really bad idea. I would use odorless mineral spirits, but I agree with him that obviously there shouldn't be any gaps. But then it shouldn't be sprayed on anyway, only applied to your finger.

I also agree that the very fine edge isn't ideal and the tool he uses is a better option (there are lots of these tools around, never heard of "Fugi"). However he applies a really thick bead, and this is simply a bad looking joint in some applications. Also, I'd still use tape even with his tool. Once you get silicone somewhere you don't want it, you have a real messy problem. He's using clear silicone or same color as tile, and it's not an issue in those cases.

Finally, I'd say that we shouldn't really be using silicone caulk in this situation anyway. One option is simply grouting it. Now conventional wisdom states that you should caulk rather than grout whenever you run into a change of plane (all your corners, in other words.) However one reason is that a lot of these are newly constructed and there will be some contraction/expansion of the wood. But if your shower has been stable a long time, then grout will probably work fine.

But even if not, I would caulk with the matching sanded caulk to your grout. If you don't know what it is, you should be able to find a close match at your local big box store.
MTN REMODEL LLC and Nealtw like this.

Last edited by jeffnc; 03-26-2019 at 02:32 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Clean well with a Choncrobium ( spelling may be wrong), mold cleaner from a BOX store.

Just FYI, Concrobium is a mold killer, not a cleaner. You spray it on wet, and as it dries, the solution contracts leaving solids which literally crushes the mold spores (active or not), rendering them "dead". However you do not clean this stuff off. You should clean after the stuff dries and the mold is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Then use mold resistant caulk, and get it very smooth, use a damp finger to smooth it out.

Assuming we're not talking about silicone, but a latex or similar water based caulk.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (03-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement