Fiberglass Shower Pan Replacement - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Fiberglass Shower pan replacement

So I'm re doing my corner shower and when removing the old fiberglass shower pan I have discovered that it was "glued in" with what looks like thinset? Was this a common practice in older houses? Needless to say its coming off in little tiny chunks of fiberglass.

The drain pipe is just a simple piece of PVC pip coming up from the slab floor which I imagin will need to have the thinset removed from it.

So what are my options when putting a new pan in as far as the drain part? (will those rubber type flanges fit over my PVC drain pipe assuming I can clean it up?)

Thanks, Chet
red73mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,546

Re: Fiberglass Shower pan replacement

The thinset is there to provide a stable base "under" the base, so as to keep it from being squishy. It is common and you should do it on your new one. 4 dollops of thinset around the floor where the base will go, then push the base into the thinset to spread it out. There shouldn't be any on your 2" pipe, so you may need to clean that. Yes, you can buy rubber flanged shower fittings that will slip either in or over the existing pipe.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WingTite...1000/204801920
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

The last fiberglass pan I installed gave the option of mortar or plaster to install. I used plaster and it worked great.
1995droptopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

Thanks for the good input guys. I was able to chisel away most of the thinset around the PVC drain pipe. What now concerns me is the drain pipe is only exposed about 1/4 of an in through the concrete slab. Will this be enough to secure the new pan to the drain pipe using a rubber flange or will I need to extend the drain pipe.

Thanks, Chet
red73mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:54 AM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,546

I doubt you will be able to extend the pipe unless the surrounding concrete has been removed to allow for a coupling. How much height do you need? An inside self sealing drain may work if the length is proper and it will fit inside the 2" pipe..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement