Failed Shower Flood Test, Help? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 396

failed shower flood test, help?

backstory - remodeling basement bedroom, turning half bath into 3/4. framed out shower, built it using Laticrete hydroban. Initial flood test, everything worked great. put tile up, notice that the floor tile is chipping, go to replace chips and half way through on a hunch I re-check the tile. Turns out it was glass tile that my wife liked and picked out and not intended for floor use. Chalk that up to learning and poor placement at a big box.

So, the critical decision was to live with it or try to fix it. If I tried to fix it I was fixing one chip and creating/finding another so it was a losing battle. decided to just go ahead and rip the tile up carefully. I left most of the mortor in the corners to avoid ripping the seams up but best as I tried when I re-flood tested before putting new tile back down it leaked.

2 part question:

1) are there tricks to finding the leak? any dye I can use to see water flow?

2) am I better off just ripping all the mortor, getting to clean corners (even if it means ripped seams) it'll leave me with about an inch or 2 before the wall tile kicks in and trying to re-tape all the seams?

Any help is much much appreciated.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,758

Re: failed shower flood test, help?

Food colouring for dye...........?
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 04:59 AM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,660

Did you install a pre slope, pvc liner and slope prior to tile installation? This would have prevented any leaks if done properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,054

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YES^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tell us your shower base........As Chandler points out, if the original base was done correctly, you should not incur a leak chipping up / replacing floor tile.

A slow migrating leak is going to be pretty tough to check.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 396

it was a pre-slopped laticrete hydroban base with hydroban panels on the sidewall. I did the drywall tape over the seams and hydroban over that as per manufacturer recommendations. My concern is that when the mortor was coming up that it may have ripped some of the seams.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Home Repairer

Rewards Points: 468

Your repair will involve sealing the corner between the base and the wall panels behind the tile. Go to the roofing section of the box store and get a roll of fiber tape. You will also need more of your hydroban waterproofing. Brush on your hydroban both up the walls and out into the pan. Then embed the fiber tape into the wet hydroban and then brush on more hydroban to cover the tape. You need at least two coats.

Here is a video of another drain system, however he uses this technique described above for your review. The waterproofing steps start at around the 4:20 mark in the video and go until the 9:00 mark.

czizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement