Exterior Door Sill Removal - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Exterior Door Sill Removal

Hi everyone,

I've taken a lot of great advice from here, but I can't find the info I need for this so I thought I would make my first post.

We bought a house that needs a ton of work, among which is replacing our kitchen floor. A friend and I ripped it up down to the subfloor (vinyl over subfloor over vinyl over subfloor) but ran into a problem when we got to the exterior door. The floor goes under the threshold. I figure, "no problem, just pull unscrew it....." No such luck. We ended up stripping two screw heads and breaking a flat head. After researching it, I discovered that sometimes, people apply adhesive when put down transitions in exterior doors. I feel that still wouldn't be enough to cause this problem, but maybe?

Does anyone have any advise?
SIDiosyncratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,390

Re: Exterior Door Sill Removal

The threshold is attached to the jams so removing it would include removing the whole door frame. Doors usually are installed before the floor goes in so I would just cut it there and forget the stuff under, And some people do go nut with stuff under the threshold so moving you may damage things you don't want to.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

Re: Exterior Door Sill Removal

Thanks for the advice Neal. I that's what I thought too, but I think when the put down the second layer of flooring, they put a new door in afterwards and the sill is sitting on top of it. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it but you can see the sill hold the floor down when I try to pry it up. I guess I'll have someone lift the rubber part of the transition while I go under it with a multitool and cut as close as I can.
SIDiosyncratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
doorway , entryway , kitchen , sill , threshold