Extending Kitchen Into Dining Room W/Demo - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bud9051

Old 07-29-2017, 08:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Extending Kitchen into Dining Room w/Demo

Hey all,

My husband and I are closing on a house in a few weeks and want to redo the kitchen. We have experience here but are having trouble 'designing' the kitchen. Our plan is to demo the wall inbetween the kitchen and the dining room (highlighted in blue below). The problem is that the kitchen goes 2' further back then the dining room. The plan is to have one large kitchen, but with the 2', I'm having trouble trying to figure out what to do. I have a quick drawing and I hope this will help. The cabinets that are drawn/labeled are there to depict what is currently in the house. I also posted actual pictures as that is what we are going to take out.

Any ideas on how we could still make this one big kitchen without having to physically extend the house (too much money for the shorter amount of time we will be here)? Maybe getting creative with the counter/cabinets... I'm stuck

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Extending Kitchen into Dining Room w/Demo-house.jpg   Extending Kitchen into Dining Room w/Demo-house1.jpg   Extending Kitchen into Dining Room w/Demo-house2.jpg  
shiba_missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,530

Re: Extending Kitchen into Dining Room w/Demo

First you'll need to determine if that wall is load bearing or not. It quite possibly is, so you may be dead in the water right out of the gate without installing a header.

You could have a cabinet designer show you how to deal with an outside corner such as that with an array of cabinets, shelves, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,698

Just thinking out loud, but how about a 45 cabinet off of the rear cabinets to step into the new space and continue with more cabinets. The angled cabinet would disguise the corner behind it and still offer some shelf space.

Do you have a picture of the roof from the outside?

Bud
chandler48 and shiba_missy like this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud9051 For This Useful Post:
shiba_missy (07-30-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2017, 05:14 AM   #4
Naildriver

GREAT idea Bud.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,466

Exchange places with the range and dishwasher then extend the counter top into the dining area with a bar. When it is time for dining table and snack bar clean up you will be glad the dishwasher was moved to that more convenient location.

Do as suggested with the 2' if you want but that wouldn't be necessary to do anything with it in my opinion.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #6

Great ideas and thanks everyone for chiming in I appreciate it! Moving and parenting our first 3 month old is new and challenging lol. Amazing how I hit a wall here.

Here is the picture from the outside, best I have so far as we haven't moved in. To clarify, I want to demo the wall I highlighted in blue in the above picture. I want one big kitchen, eliminating the dining room all together. Here is a before/after pic of something similar I would like to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Extending Kitchen into Dining Room w/Demo-genmid.09699778_27_0.jpg   Extending Kitchen into Dining Room w/Demo-screen-shot-2017-07-30-6.58.07-am.jpg   Extending Kitchen into Dining Room w/Demo-screen-shot-2017-07-30-6.58.14-am.jpg  
Old 07-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #7
Naildriver

As stated, you can do it, but you will need to have a structural engineer give blessings to removing that wall. If it bears a load from above it could be problematic. Bumping the wall out won't gain you anything but headache$. Deal with it and make your cabinetry run around it like Bud suggested. You'll still have an open area, just 2' narrower, and money to complete the project.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
shiba_missy (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 01:03 PM   #8

Agreed Chandler. I don't want to bother bumping the wall. Not worth the investment.

Any other ideas on how to maximize that corner space? Thanks
Old 07-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,698

Just more thinking but the room has a lot of length with limited width, so filling that end with a bunch of cabinets doesn't really reduce the total space. As suggested I (because I'm not very good at it) would be heading to a cabinet place to see what innovations they can suggest.

BTW, I love the kitchen/dinning room combination, just reminds me of huge family gatherings and great memories.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #10
Naildriver

One more thought. You won't have much space on the dining room wall for cabinets due to the window in the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement