Exhaust Hood For Range - Duct Questions - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 566

Exhaust hood for range - Duct questions

So I am about to ask a couple of questions about range exhaust hood venting, i.e. materials and installation. If this is more appropriately posted in the HVAC, please grant the mighty moderator the right to move it!

Not sure if local code variations will affect the answers but I live in Oak Park, IL, just outside of Chicago, IL.

I am designing a kitchen remodel and one of the features that we don't have currently (and miss from our last home) is a range exhaust hood. I am working on the design drawings and wanted to add details for the hood installation. Accordingly, I have a few questions about the materials and installation.

1. What kind of exhaust duct work is appropriate for this appliance?

2. Is the exhaust duct required to be sealed? If so, does the mastic need to be rated specifically for this application?

3. Is the duct work expected to be pitched from the exhaust hood down to the vent terminal?

4. Does anyone have recommendations for a vent terminal that seals well when the hood is not in use but doesn't present an excessive amount of resistance to air flow?

Thanks!
Jimmy
Advertisement