Durarock Walls With Kerdi Pan - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree11Likes

Old 08-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 348

Durarock walls with Kerdi pan

Has anyone here used a Kerdi preslopped shower pan with Durarock walls.

I have been thinking about this during the build out of another part of my home. I am trying to get as much knowledge prior to tackling the project so all the info, tips, tricks are welcome and appreciated.
JPeters is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,594

Re: Durarock walls with Kerdi pan

You CAN, if you take the proper precautions. You will need to seal the CBU down and over the top of the pan using the wide strip rolls of Ditra. It will just tie the two together to make the joint more water proof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
You CAN, if you take the proper precautions. You will need to seal the CBU down and over the top of the pan using the wide strip rolls of Ditra. It will just tie the two together to make the joint more water proof.
This is what I'm doing to make a curb less shower in my master bath.
Shower is 4'x8'

Do you think this will work? The reason I am going with Durarock or Hardi on the walls is that it is an old house and I feel like this will be the best way to give me piece of mind
Attached Thumbnails
Durarock walls with Kerdi pan-kerdi-shower.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 324

Looks good to me. I did hardi with kerdi over it. I personally don't recommend it because of water absorption issues but I believe the redgard method will work fine. If you want to go the full Kerdi route then seal the CBU or just use drywall....I would just use drywall knowing what I do now.
Sdiver2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post
Looks good to me. I did hardi with kerdi over it. I personally don't recommend it because of water absorption issues but I believe the redgard method will work fine. If you want to go the full Kerdi route then seal the CBU or just use drywall....I would just use drywall knowing what I do now.
Really! You think that I should just sheet rock the walls and cover it with the kerdi material?

If that is the case that would make the installation much easier. How about a bench that would be in the shower area? How would you build that out and water proof that as part of the entire system.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters View Post
Really! You think that I should just sheet rock the walls and cover it with the kerdi material?

If that is the case that would make the installation much easier. How about a bench that would be in the shower area? How would you build that out and water proof that as part of the entire system.
That's the beauty of Kerdi...the same rules apply. You can either buy one of their premade benches and waterproof to that...or you can make your own. You can make your own either with Kerdi-board or you can just frame it and cover in drywall. You then either overlap the seams by 2" or you use Kerdi band (my personal recommendation...ESPECIALLY in corners.

Its always preferable to not mix waterproofing systems if you don't have to.
firehawkmph and JPeters like this.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,452

Go to Schlueter's website and watch the installation videos and download their installation manual. They explain everything in great detail there and the videos make it easy to understand. Don't mix their system. They have everything you need. If you follow their directions, you'll end up with a nice shower.
Mike Hawkins
JPeters likes this.
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
That's the beauty of Kerdi...the same rules apply. You can either buy one of their premade benches and waterproof to that...or you can make your own. You can make your own either with Kerdi-board or you can just frame it and cover in drywall. You then either overlap the seams by 2" or you use Kerdi band (my personal recommendation...ESPECIALLY in corners.

I have seen the Kerdi Systems videos and I was planning on using that at first. My concern was that this old house is a 2x4 framed home and the shower is the exterior wall. I was concerned about deflection in the wall.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
I have seen the Kerdi Systems videos and I was planning on using that at first. My concern was that this old house is a 2x4 framed home and the shower is the exterior wall. I was concerned about deflection in the wall.
The kerdi is an uncoupling membrane. You stand a much better chance of it resisting wall movement than redgard "paint" IMO. The drywall vs. CBU won't make a difference to the kerdi...in fact they recommend drywall.
JPeters likes this.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
The kerdi is an uncoupling membrane. You stand a much better chance of it resisting wall movement than redgard "paint" IMO. The drywall vs. CBU won't make a difference to the kerdi...in fact they recommend drywall.
The paint is not going to help with movement I agree. But I would think that the duarock/hardi board product( Cement board) would help with this like seen in the amazing illustration I made all on my own

I was just thinking to help with deflection I could Use the hardi on the walls.

Have you wrapped a bench in sheetrock then kerdi and tiled it in a shower? It's all new to me and I am kinda concerned I sink a bunch of cash into the remodel and have to do it a second time....
Old 08-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #11

Quote:

SOOOOOO..... This is what the preferred method would be?
Attached Thumbnails
Durarock walls with Kerdi pan-kerdi-shower.jpg  
Old 08-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #12

Arrow

Quote:

Here is an old image before all the walls where built and the floor lowered to accept the Kerdi pan for a curb free shower 4x8 with bench.
Attached Thumbnails
Durarock walls with Kerdi pan-556393d1555514174-curbless-shower-bathroom-build-old-house-1.1-1-.jpg  
Old 08-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:

SOOOOOO..... This is what the preferred method would be?
Yes! Just be sure to pay attention to your thinsets and mortar. For your tray and ditra I think you will need to use modified thinset/mortar. For your walls you will need unmodified. Unmodified I recommend the mapei uncoupling membrane mortar at Lowe's. For modified, I likes prolite.

I wrapped the kerdi membrane around my foam shower curb. A very similar process to what I would do on your bench. Just really pull it tight so you end up with a clean wrap with little to no air bubbles. Make sure you use the preformer Corners and kerdi band and everything overlaps by 2 inches.
JPeters likes this.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #14

Where do you buy the kerdi products where you are at? How about the bench should I use sheet rock really or cement board?
@Sdiver2489
Old 08-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Where do you buy the kerdi products where you are at? How about the bench should I use sheet rock really or cement board?
@Sdiver2489
The best price I found when I did mine was here:

http://indianafloorsllc.com/kerdi2.aspx

I bought some extra kerdi membrane from my local Lowe's and home Depot too when I needed a little more. It was more expensive there though.

Keep in mind that the base material doesn't matter too much...the kerdi base is soft foam. So is the shower curb they make as part of their kit. It's when you place tile on these surfaces that they get strong. Even kerdi board is just kerdi lined foam. The material doesn't matter for strength as long as it's covered in kerdi and tile.

Like I said you can use CBU...But I had some issues getting the membrane to stick to it and had to make some patches for bubbles. Any kerdi I put on drywall had no issue. If you read peoples experiences you'll read this is quite a common experience.

Personally I would probably use Kerdi board for the bench and that's that. But I don't think it would make a big difference. I used the kerdi niche and it was very simple to install.
JPeters likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sdiver2489 For This Useful Post:
JPeters (08-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement