Dubious Contractor Work - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79
  • 2 Post By chandler48
  • 2 Post By Bent Nail

Old 06-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Dubious Contractor Work

New to the forum, I've done some tiling in my home before, but never a tile shower. I had a contractor come and place the shower base, hardibacker the floor and durock on the walls. I looked at it briefly as they were leaving; it was late and not like any work was going to get corrected that day even if it was wrong. I told him to come back so we could go over it before I started my tilework. The durock is behind the lip on the shower base on the back wall, and the wall opposite the shower it is just to the top of the base. Its set over the lip on the wall with the showerhead. Even after I do teh waterproofing, theres no way to tile over this, unless I'm mistaken. Can someone confirm if I am correct or if there is a way to tile over that gap? I'm going to want to be sure I'm right before I have him get back here and rip out all his work to do it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Dubious Contractor Work-20180610_141304.jpg   Dubious Contractor Work-20180610_141251.jpg  
luckyb50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,652

Re: Dubious Contractor Work

All of your Wonderboard should just be sitting on the rim of the shower pan. The walls should have been framed out to allow for this and the Wonderboard installed last. Vapor barrier down the studs and over the lip and inside the pan. Then the Wonderboard to the lip. Your tile will jump the gap from the end of the CBU to the bottom of the lip without problem and will prevent any wicking of water. Your vapor barrier could be cut prior to installing the tile, but allow it to touch the bottom of the lip. Tile laying 101. Hopefully he used 1/2" CBU on the walls.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,406

I see nothing dubious about the CB install, looks well done from here. What I see is a improperly framed opening for the shower base. The man can only install the board on the studs where they sit.

Now maybe as a Johnny Fix It quick, maybe just install another board over the ones that are already there to get the CB out where it needs to be. Or, tear all the CB off and fir the studs out a 1/2". JMO
Dave Sal likes this.
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #4

So maybe, to Johnny-Fix-It, get a sheet of the 1/4" durock, fit it inside the lip of the base and then screw it right over the first sheet? Then the bottom will have the sheet of durock hanging inside rather than behind; and the top will be a 1/4" bump that can be smoothed out with the seam tape, water membrane and tile cement?
Old 06-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,652

It looks to be much more than a 1/4" sheet would cover. How deep is that opening between the cbu and the tub base lip? I don't even like the side walls with the cbu going behind the lip. Adding 1/4" on the sides would help too. If you put 1/2" on the long wall it needs to go all the way up to prevent a hump that you can't tile over.
Attached Images

Dave Sal and JustA_dude like this.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #6

The gap isn't too far, the widest section is maybe a 1/4". I can press the edge of the shower base against the wall the whole way across. If I screwed it into the durock there would be no gap the whole way. The durock would still be behind it though; and no less sealed.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 78

Well? Over a month has passed luckyb50. How did you end up resolving this? Did you make the contractor come back and rip it out and redo it? Did you overlay another vapor barrier and another layer of CBU over the Wonderboard so as to shingle all water into the pan? Inquiring minds want to know!
MTN REMODEL LLC and Dave Sal like this.
Bent Nail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement