Doorknob Problem - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hkstroud
  • 1 Post By hkstroud

Old 01-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Doorknob problem

I bought a new glass doorknob from Hobby Lobby, it was 50% off, and looks vintage, and I love it. I wanted to put it on my bathroom door. I don't need the door to lock or anything, I'm the only one who really used it. But my old doorknob is a modern, brass colored knob that locks. I thought putting in a doorknob would be easy, but I tried it, and it won't turn the latch in my door. It doesn't seem to fit the system in there right. Is there anything I can do, so that I can use the pretty knob? It has 2 knobs, and a long rod in the middle. Any help on fixing it? Do I need to buy a new door latch and workings?
mamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

You will likely need new guts.

Your new knobs have a square rode between them?
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2016, 02:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Re: Doorknob problem

I don't think there is any need to buy a new latch. These things are something we should not do on our own because we do not have any experience of such things and because of this we put our home into a risk as poor security may give a chance for thieves to enter our house. If you wish, you can take help of professionals that have good knowledge and experience of repairing and replacing doorknobs. As far I've heard a lot about locksmith LA, they have like good 30 years of experience in this field. It's actually important nowadays that our house is well secure so that we remain safe.
BettyMcKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2016, 03:16 AM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,050

And you have to be very vigilent as to who might be breaking into your bathroom door....

Do you have a handyman nearby who can look at it... likely he/she can look at it and your existing hardware and tell if it adaptable.

(This isn't rocket science...) (hard to tell with out detail/specific pics)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,800

Does the new doorknob assembly fit and not work?

Or does it not fit let alone work?

It could be as simple as the rod between the knobs being the wrong size.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,786

Post a picture of your door knob.

What you see below is a picture of the home my wife grew up in, built by her father in the late 1940s or early 1950s.

After her mother's death the house was destroyed. My wife salvage several of the glass door knobs. I got a stud from the old home and made the frame you see for the photo and a cradle for the door knob.

Now she not only has the glass door knob, she has a part of the old home.

If you knob looks like this one, you can find door knob escutcheons (old ones). Mount them to the door and pass the knob through the escutcheons and the door. Put a bullet catch in the bolt hold. The door won't lock of course but it will latch from the bullet catch. The knobs will not be active. You will simply use the knobs to pull the door open or closed
Attached Images

MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,786

Quote:
And you have to be very vigilent as to who might be breaking into your bathroom door....
I guess I would have to agree. About a year I got a call form a customer (the wife) about 9:30 one evening. Husband was locked IN the bathroom.

Knob was screw up and they had put off calling me.

Suggested that she slide him a Playboy mag under the door until I got there.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement