Does This Quote To Build My Bathroom Shower Seem Too Cheap? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 95

Does this quote to build my bathroom shower seem too cheap?

I received my first quote for building a stand up tile shower, roughly 30"x60" with 8' ceilings, in my second floor condo, pictured below. I'm either out of touch with what this should cost, or this is too good to be true. As it says, it does not include plumbing or drywall work, but I figured the build and tile work would be more. Total for the pre-fab pan option and floor tile is around $2000, with the mud pan being $1000 more.

How does this sound do you? Does a mud pan offer any benefit over a pre-fab pan?
Attached Thumbnails
Does this quote to build my bathroom shower seem too cheap?-bathroom.jpg   Does this quote to build my bathroom shower seem too cheap?-bathroom-quote.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Link; 01-09-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Joe Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Green Hat

Rewards Points: 170

Sounds a little bit on the cheap size to me. I was able to build about the same shower myself (including plumbing) for right around $2000. Maybe that is where the savings came from as plumbing work is not cheap.

Same size and everything.

With that being said............

I used a pre-fab pan and was HIGHLY disappointing in the way it looked and how deep the 30" x 60" actually was. Especially after getting the doors on. Once those were on, I only had about 26" of depth in the shower which is way too small for me.

I am currently being stubborn and ripping the pre-fab pan out and going to have a mud bed installed. Additionally, I am going to fir out my wall a little bit in order to put a proper 36" mud bed in, re-tile it and go from there.

Yeah, I am going to spend as much as it would have cost me to have someone do it all, but hey............

The important lessons are the ones that hurt the most.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f80/shower-remodel-224785/

Already wrote up a bit on it.

Hope this helps. My .02 is that you buck up now so that you won't be upset later and second guess yourself.
Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Can one really buy a tile ready shower pan for $85?

I like a site built shower pan because I'm building them. They are very solid and perform well.

You might explore some other options, such as a shower receptor. Kohler has some very nice cast iron receptors.

You don't list your location, so we can't judge the prices very well.

I recently had a guy helping who had worked with Home Depot and Lowe's and he said they start you out at some price and work you up from there. If these installers work like he does, you don't want to be there when they are around. And you probably don't want them doing the work period.

Get more bids and ask to look at some of their previous work.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Joe the overall cost is a little light in my experience but what is even worse is the "line-item-estimate". None of those numbers make any sense as far as industry costs are concerned.

I think I would look for another installer. Look for one that has actually installed a shower before.
oh'mike (01-10-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Electrician/DIY fanatic

Rewards Points: 606

How about waterproofing? They say drywall. I assume they mean wall substrate. The least you should have is 6mil, and CBU. If you do install drywall, its a surface applied membrane. There's a huge step, and good chunk of change missing there.
Vegas Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vegas Sparky For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (03-04-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 8

It's pretty a wise decision if you choose one from quote comparisons - I mean try to ask for quotes (with same requirements) from other service providers and examine if there are glaring differences.
AndrewSteindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
everhartconstruction

Rewards Points: 2

Thanks to ask a good question,it very casual bathroom shower fitting at one time going on process if any leakage that create life time problem in bathroom,So you can use branded bathroom fittings.
Sarah Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Johan View Post
Thanks to ask a good question,it very casual bathroom shower fitting at one time going on process if any leakage that create life time problem in bathroom,So you can use branded bathroom fittings.
W-Huh???
MTN REMODEL LLC (03-04-2015), oh'mike (02-09-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
W-Huh???
Clearly English is a second language, but I believe they're saying that the bathroom is pretty standard with no serious leakage in the past so it won't be that expensive to reinstall a standard tub/shower.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Sanders For This Useful Post:
beenthere (02-12-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 05:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 82

Those labor prices also look really low for that type of work. Either he works for really cheap or he is under estimating what is involved.

and like others said the walls and the plumbing are going to add a huge chunk onto that.
barnabas131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 17,896

No one mention the mastic instead of thinset mentioned in the quote.
MTN REMODEL LLC (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,062

Just curious...... as mentioned above, many costs/work is not on that bid...

Was this contractor going to do solely the speced work.... or was he going to upcharge on the unspeced work.....

Was it your responsibility to find a second contractor for your "drywall" bath subfloor/plumbing etc.... if so, you are asking for trouble when two different contractors start passing the blame for a poor job.

Components of a waterproof/non-leaking shower stall have to fit together and coordinate precisely... there are a lot of choices kerdi/redguard/cement board/mud pan etc etc, and coordinating two contractors is just asking for an F'up.

You are smart investigating this.....

Gooid luck

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 03-04-2015 at 09:57 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement