(diy'er) Rebuilding Shower - Advice Needed W/pics - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By clarenceboddick
  • 1 Post By clarenceboddick

Old 07-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 60

(diy'er) Rebuilding shower - Advice needed w/pics

A while back I started a thread asking about converting my shower to a tub. Well, I decided to gut everything out and rebuild the shower. So far, I've done the preslope, pan liner, cement board and drain.

I couldn't seem to get the cement board to butt up flush with each other in the corners (see pic), so should I fill that up with silicon and then thinset the screws and cracks or should I just thinset everything without the silicon? Also, in regard to the seams, I have alka-resistant mesh tape and I also have the water proofing membrane fabric (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Do I need to apply both of these on all the joints or am I supposed to use one or the other? I'll be applying regard as well.

And the last question, for now. On the drain, I poured water onto the liner to make sure the flow towards the drain was ok but I noticed that the water drained very slow through the weep holes and somewhat pooled around the drain itself. One side drained slower than the other. Could it be that I over tightened the bolts or is there not enough of a pitch at the drain possibly?
Attached Thumbnails
(diy'er) Rebuilding shower - Advice needed w/pics-img_0924.jpg   (diy'er) Rebuilding shower - Advice needed w/pics-img_0926.jpg  

Last edited by Keiv; 07-17-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Keiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,594

Re: (diy'er) Rebuilding shower - Advice needed w/pics

Your joints are fine. Durock is 3' x 5', so laying it horizontally usually is easier, but it's hung. Your cracks will be filled with thinset, mesh tape and smoothed out, so you don't need thinset. I would not bother with the membrane. You can go over your joints with RedGard to give yourself a warm and fuzzy. If you have any cubbies, paint on RedGard in them and around the edges.

As far as your drain, the weep holes wont take full volume, and there is no need to test it. You will be building a slope on top of the PVC liner and your tile will go on top of that, so water will travel directly over the tile into the drain. The weep hole is just for that.....weeping, not full volume.
Keiv and Nealtw like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
Keiv (07-17-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 60

Thanks! I didn't think to lay the cement board in the middle horizontally because I started with the one on the left which is shorter width wise and just didn't think about the next one lol. Thanks again for the info
Keiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,054

I apply thinset into the seam gaps and outside of them. Then I embed the mesh tape into the thinset. Then I add a skim coat of thinset over the tape. I let that dry and then float out any spots that are not flat before setting the tile. I always back butter the tiles when setting them. If I use Hardibacker on the bottom of the shower, I use a sponge to get the Hardibacker soaking wet an then add a thick skim coat of thinset to the Hardibacker and let it dry before setting tile. There's some concern with the dry fibers of the Hardibacker to dry out the thinset on the tiles too fast. Presoaking the Hardibacker prevents this. Not sure if it's true, but cheap insurance anyways. No need to worry with Durock.
Keiv likes this.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clarenceboddick For This Useful Post:
Keiv (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
Naildriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarenceboddick View Post
If I use Hardibacker on the bottom of the shower, .
Hardibacker nor Durock has a place on the bottom or floor of a shower. Hopefully that was a typo.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Hardibacker nor Durock has a place on the bottom or floor of a shower. Hopefully that was a typo.
I said bottom (of the wall) not the floor. The very bottom of the wall is not as supported as you shouldn't use screws below the top of the curb level, due to the liner membrane. Hardibacker is much stiffer than Durock, so supports the tile better.
chandler48 likes this.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
Naildriver

I won't nitpick, but you did say the "bottom of the shower". You stand on the bottom of the shower. I understand, and was mainly clarifying it for the OP so they would understand. I like to start with the larger sheets at the bottom, too, just for the reasons you mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement